MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: Can't receive mail in Outlook Express
November 14, 2019, 05:02:00 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 14, 2019, 05:02:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Can't receive mail in Outlook Express  (Read 2353 times)
cinderella518

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2004, 12:56:52 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Socket Error: 10065, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

This is the last line of the error message I receive everytime I open Outlook Express. I had just run the updates 2 days ago, and that is when it ceased to work. I have called cable provider and it's not them.

Please help, THANKS! Smiley

vegkaar

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 05:38:13 PM »

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;191687

Vegard
cinderella518

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 07:25:40 PM »

Went to follow instructions however, I am not sure how to open a command prompt?

Brandywine

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2004, 09:07:53 PM »

You didn't indicate your version of Windows, but one of these suggestions will work:
For XP--click on start, run and in the open field, type 'cmd' (without '), press enter.  In some versions of Windows you have to type 'command' (without ').  Or click start, programs, accessories and look for the words MS Dos prompt or Command Prompt

cinderella518

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2004, 09:22:17 PM »

Sorry Windows 98 operating system. Did as instructed and the following:

Proto Local Address          Foreign Address        State
  TCP    0.0.0.0:25             0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING
  TCP    0.0.0.0:110            0.0.0.0:0              LISTENING

Were not listed in the MS-DOS prompt rather 4 TCP addresses that are IP addresses I believe. And they did have 110 within them.

So I went to the first step of the page http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?kbid=161118 and now am a bit confused again?

From step two on. I have already verified with cable provider that it's not them.

Any further help appreciated, thanks! Smiley

Brandywine

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2004, 03:19:01 AM »

Have you tried deleting and readding your account information?  The information provided in the link you show is probably more technical than you want to get--it pertains to working on the Exchange server itself.  You are trying to connect to your ISP server where your email comes in and unless they give you some of the information (such as server address--which I doubt they will do), you won't be able to go further.  My suggestion (for what it's worth),is to uninstall your user profile in Outlook (tools, accounts) and reinstall it.  Another option is to also, uninstall outlook and reinstall it, but I would first just try the profile and if that doesn't work, uninstall the profile again, then also uninstall Outlook and reinstall from the setup CD.  I don't remember a lot out Win98 without a lot of digging, so maybe another user out there with more recent experience can shed some light on this.  Good Luck!

Brandywine

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2004, 03:29:13 AM »

Cinderella, go to this site:
http://www.domainscape.co.uk/technical_faq/outlookexpress_errormessages.htm
go down towards the bottom until you see the code for Error Number: 0x800CCC0E--try those suggestions, I don't know if they will work or not as the socket error number is different from yours.  Just out of curiosity, had you recently removed spyware, adware or viruses before this problem started?

cinderella518

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2004, 04:34:26 AM »

Actually yes, I've had HUGE problems with spyare & adware lately. However weirdest thing, the email problem began 3 days ago when I downloaded Microsoft's IE Cumulative Security Pack. (I think that's the name of it?) Then all of a sudden mail error.

I did try uninstalling Outlook Express twice now and no luck Sad

Will try your other suggestions...and post back with results...thanks! Smiley

cinderella518

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2004, 06:19:40 AM »

Tried uninstalling & reinstalling mail acct & no luck.

Tried to use "telnet" using my IP addy and port 110 and it can't connect. Found instructions on this page http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;165186

Also tried sending mail and get the same error only for port 25

Maybe this is connected to spyware issues from before???

Any other suggestions? Thanks Smiley

cinderella518

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2004, 08:26:05 AM »

Update: For the first time IE repair tool actually ran for me, altho all my problems still exist.

Is there a step by step manual removal process to uninstall Internet Explorer anywhere?

Thanks!

Brandywine

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2004, 06:15:09 PM »

You can go to add/remove programs to see if the patch is listed.  You don't want to remove Internet Explorer completely, because some of the codes are required for your system to work.  Another option is to switch to MS Outlook or another email program all together--such as Eudora Lite or Incredimail.  Very frustrating--we count on our mail soooooo much!:P

cinderella518

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2004, 10:50:05 PM »

Freakiest thing....so the other day when I was playing around with IE stuff I attempted a download and it gave me an Outlook Express desktop icon.

I never thought a thing about til today. Clicked on it for the heck of it and guess what??? I can access my mail again. It's the older version of Outlook Express 5.5 I think but that's fine with me.

As long as I can get it, I'm happy Smiley

Brandywine

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2004, 02:23:40 AM »

Well, thanks for posting the update.  You might want to go to windows update and see if it will pull in the correct version---or you might want to leave well enough alone! HA!:) I was talking to another tech about this today and they suggested running your Windows install again--just install it over your existing Windows--but not sure if that would help for your Version--this is supposed to help for XP.  Anyway, glad you got it going again!

cinderella518

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2004, 02:36:13 AM »

Thanks brandywine for all your help! Yep gonna leave well enough alone & keep version 5. LOL As long as it works, I'm Happy!!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: