MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Conflicts after mobo upgrade.
November 14, 2019, 04:55:59 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 14, 2019, 04:55:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Conflicts after mobo upgrade.  (Read 2768 times)
SilverThunder

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 06, 2004, 02:13:47 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: W98
Problem Application Name & Version: USB2
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages: Conflicts in "Other Devices"

Hi board, I have to start somewhere, have MANY problems after upgrading the mobo and CPU. So, does anyone have a valid USB2 driver for an Intel 848P chipset when running W98 FE? Even Intel does not reply to my request. BTW, after the upgrade I can not access my CD-RW, so I can't read from my mobo CD-Rom directly.

You don't have to KNOW everything, just where to find it..
HippyWarlock

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2004, 06:50:44 AM »

Just to point out Win98 has a few issues with USB - you may be best off going to 2k.

Open up -My Computer - Propeties - and report back exactly what devices are conflicting.

IIRC 848P is the mobo chipset, so you're after drivers from the Intel site for your model of mobo. See here:
http://downloadfinder.intel.com/scripts-df/filter_results.asp?strOSs=18&strTypes=DRV%2CARC&ProductID=816&OSFullName=Windows*+98+SE&submit=Go%21

Also your OS is W98SE <grinz at typo>

HTH - Peace

HippyWarlock

Signatures Reduce available Bandwidth

My Homepage:

Under Construction
SilverThunder

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2004, 04:37:43 PM »

Hey Hippy,
thanks for your reply. First off, I was hoping to make clear I have W98 FIRST Edition (FE :-) but might have the wrong way to do so when dealing with the REAL tech guys...:-) Anyway, the fact I'm using W98 (NOT SE) might be part of my problem, the Intel web site does not have a USB2 driver for this edition combined with a 848P chipset. I know that XP would probably work great, but funds are low after the upgrade and would love to know if I can stay with W98.

The conflicts are with:
1.Other Devices...
-PCI System Management Bus (Code 28)
-PCI Universal Serial Bus (Code 28)

2. USB Controller
-Standard Universal PCI to USB HOst Controller
(The NTKERN.VXS device loaders could not load this device driver.(Code 2).
-Standard Universal PCI to USB Host Controller
(Same code)
There are two more similar devices, but they have no exclamtion mark in front of them.

3. NO CD-ROm is showing up (can also not be accessed)

Hope this helps somewhat.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2004, 01:26:22 PM »

If funds are low and you still would like to upgrade to Win XP or 2K try to find a place that sells OEM copies. An OEM copy is just the CD, no box or manuals. OEM is the usually the best way because it's really cheap. I've seen some OEM stuff that is less than half the price of the Retail packs.

As HippyWarlock said above Win98 and Win98 SE have some issues with USB and I don't think Win98 supports USB2. However, if you go to the Microsoft website<cringe> and have a look there you might be able to find a USB2 driver. That's what I did for my EPoX mobo because it tells you to at installation, to click on "update driver" and it downloaded the relevent driver from microsoft.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
SilverThunder

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2004, 01:30:58 AM »

Hi, I also heard USB2 is not capable to run under W98. There is NO support from anyone and my system even gets unstable with it on it. Can you tell me more about the OEM copies?

HippyWarlock

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2004, 02:01:23 AM »

OEM Copies are a neat trick by suppliers to sell cheap copies of XP.

Basically to get XP etc, into as many boxes a possible, Microsoft do a great deal to the Original Equipment Manufacturers (Dell, Time <yuech> etc), but due to a loophole, if you buy - as I did - a HS and fan for a fiver, you get a cut price, full blown copy of the OS as the shop says it's selling a system and not just an OS. Clear as mud eh?

Now my problem is, if I get a new fan, should I tell Bill about it???

HTH - Peace

HippyWarlock

Signatures Reduce available Bandwidth

My Homepage:

Under Construction
KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2004, 01:31:24 PM »

Here's an example of the difference between OEM and retail.

An online store is selling two hard drives that are exactly the same but one is OEM and the other is Retail.

The OEM hard drive is cheaper. This is because when you buy OEM you only get the hard drive, no box, nothing else.

If you were to buy the retail version you'd get the hard drive in the retail box with a manual, some fixing screws, maybe even an IDE cable.

Basically by buying a Retail version of something you're paying extra so you can have the box and the manual.

I can post a link to a definition of OEM if you want.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
SilverThunder

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2004, 05:33:54 PM »

HI guys, yes, that was it. I upgraded to XP Pro and NO more conflicts (other than an uninstalled MS Bus driver, maybe some help?) It runs very smooth and stable. I loved my W98, but I guess I can get used to this.:-)

I guess I play around with the MS Bus things and if I can't work it out I'll start a new post. Thanks for all you guys help!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: