MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: need to know
November 18, 2019, 02:40:26 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 18, 2019, 02:40:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: need to know  (Read 2366 times)
wayne1721

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 17, 2004, 05:20:45 PM »

Genuine intel 350Mhz
Celeron 366 Mhz model S760V
windows XP pro
system type X86 based PC
processor X86 family 6 model 5 stepping
System manufacterer PCChips

I need to know the maximum capacity hard disc drive this PC can handle.(I intend to remove the little one in it and replace with large) Instructions would help also as well as the type I would need.
Thanks

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2004, 07:20:14 PM »

Don't you know the motherboard make & model? That would help enormously. Use CPUZ, go to the Mainboard tab and see what it says: http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-123.zip

Jord.
wayne1721

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2004, 11:10:52 PM »

cant use CPUZ,puter was given to 6 yr old grandson,USED STRICTLY FOR GAMING BUT NEED MORE STORAGE SPACE.
Heres more info tho
Bondwell
s/n 10000101492
model 586-19-mt
s/m SY-BW21-M19

And you would think any 350Mhz celeron would have same hard disc capacity

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2004, 11:28:39 PM »

A strictly gaming PC with Windows XP Pro? I hope you had at least 512MB of RAM installed as well, or he won't even get for gaming wise. Wink
(Better to have installed Windows 98, easier to reformat & reinstall as well once he manages to have it break up...)

Was this a laptop? I am asking, since Bondwell in Google will throw up all kinds of links to Bondwell laptop batteries...

So before I tell you what harddrive to buy, there is a difference in physical size & the connector being used, between a laptop harddrive and a desktop harddrive.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2004, 11:30:54 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
wayne1721

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2004, 12:50:30 AM »

Hi Jee and thanks for all the input,,you are right about the gaming as I had to upgrade my athlon to play the newest games IE:Prince of Persia,more memory better vid card etc.
I had planned to replace windows XP with windows 98 when I replaced the hard drive as thats what I had back in my previous computer and game days.
It is a desk top he has and takes I believe an IDE hard drive.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2004, 01:15:12 AM »

Okay then, considering there's a Celeron 366 hanging in the system, there is in the least an Intel i810(E) chipset sitting on the motherboard.

This chipset can at maximum take 2 DIMMS of PC100 memory, maxing out at 512MB of memory.

The IDE controller is an ATA66 ... this means that you cannot buy any of the UDMA/ATA133 drives out there at this moment. They won't work. I even doubt that the UDMA/ATA100 drives will work in full compatibility.

There aren't any ATA66 drives in high capacity available (err, meaning, not in today's standard of a minimum of 80GB).

Now what you could do is check around for the harddrive you would like to install, then tell me about it. I will check on the details of that harddrive and advise you on an IDE controller add-on card that you stick in a free PCI slot.

How would that sound?
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 01:15:58 AM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
wayne1721

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2004, 01:23:05 AM »

I`m sure glad you are responding for this newbie lol,,I am only looking to go at most a 20GB hard drive,mine btw is only a 40 gig but in a year and a half it has never been over half full even with all the games I run IE all the "age of empire games" including age of mythology Titans,,so 20 for his games would be totally sufficient.
I plan to buy my HDD at ebay where I have won lots of items computer related IE: dsl modem,memory stick,video card at unbelievable prices,,therefore cant supply you with product name make stats etc.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2004, 01:33:33 AM »

Well, that doesn't matter much. Since you're looking on eBay anyway, why not shop around there for a UDMA/ATA133 IDE controller card? Don't take a RAID or SATA controller card, just a plain UDMA/ATA133 IDE controller card.

Then you can easily shop around for the 20GB drive. The controller card, when plugged in, will take over from the mainboard's BIOS when it comes to booting from harddrives. So all the optical drives and even old harddrives can still stay in that PC & on the motherboard's IDE connectors (if there's room for them all and enough connectors on the power supply Wink).

Highly recommended cards with good drivers & support are Promise, Iwill and Highpoint ... (I used all 3 of them, I recommend the Promise over anything else, but they are pricey Wink).
« Last Edit: August 20, 2004, 01:35:33 AM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
wayne1721

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2004, 01:40:00 AM »

I was hoping I could just toss the old hard drive,,plug in a new one and off we go.(guess I shoulda spent more n 60 bucks and bought him a better pc huh? lol
Anyway Jee,,thank you so much,,you are very smart.I will check out those items at ebay and proceed ,,just for the experience and maybe someday I can pass on helpful info too.
thanks again

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2004, 01:44:00 AM »

If it makes you feel any better, I don't have a 6 year old grandson yet.  Cool

But no, I didn't say you needed to let the old harddrive stay in there. Not knowing how big it is (yet above 2.2GB, or else XP wouldn't fit), you or your grandson can always use it as a backup drive, a secondary drive or the drive that holds the page file. (If I just went too technical, please kick. Smiley)

Jord.
wayne1721

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2004, 01:50:45 AM »

Jumpin jelly fish Jee,,theres gran kids poppin out all the time here lol,,got 7 now,,oldest is 6.
Making the 4 gig HDD secondary is a cool idea,,thanks,,and I even know the process.
PS:I knew XP took a lot,Im sure glad I got 98 2nd ed.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2004, 01:52:53 AM »

If you need help on how to repartition & reformat the NTFS formatted XP drive back to FAT32 plus format the new drive, I'll probably be around here someplace.

Glad to be of help.

Jord.
wayne1721

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2004, 01:55:14 AM »

thanks Jee ,,,you are invaluable

wayne1721

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 22, 2004, 01:17:39 PM »

Well Jee,,,I must have messed up in an attempt to remove windows xp pro from the hard drive and install windows98 2nd ed. It just didnt work.
Maybe you can tell me the procedure from start to finish even in an email if you wish,,addy is wayneswhistle@hotmail.com

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: