MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Win 98 freezes on start,red box pops up ,Norton ,
July 20, 2019, 03:22:49 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 20, 2019, 03:22:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Win 98 freezes on start,red box pops up ,Norton ,  (Read 2007 times)
smokinpaul

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 21, 2004, 04:57:51 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:windows 98 v1 (4.0)
Problem Application Name & Version:RED BOX NORTON FREEZES ALL CONTROL IN MIDDLE OF START UP
Problem Hardware Make & Model:dont think its hardware.
Error Messages:Red pop up box ,"Trial version of Norton utilities does not include disk doctor for DOS.Click OK to run scan disc.    no cursor on screen. pressed enter =OK on key board, no response ,Checked mouse on other PC, mouse good,keybord dead after choosing to go into safe mode at start up,can access bios menu at start up and key board works..just i dont know what to go into...theres 2 columns of selections. Seems like PC wants to start in DOS and Norton trial version is saying i cant do that without purchasing Norton Utilities. And all functions / control of keyboard and mouse go dead. Tried just about everthing i know-booting from emergency floopy, trying to boot from win 98 CD,i end up evry time with a red box from Norton and frozen in the backround is windows trying to finish booting and frozen keyboard and no cursor/mouse.
  Please ...any HELP ?    Thank You in advance.      Paul.        

Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2004, 07:33:30 AM »

Go Start/Run and type in   msconfig  and see if its listed in Startup ,if so untick it.

An Australian Member of

EDDY
smokinpaul

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2004, 05:54:17 PM »

i cant get through start-up to to get to start/run.i am un able to get to the desk top. i can get to where it says at bottom of screen "press delete to enter bios  or press alt F4 to enter awdioflash" when begining booting.
                i press delete and these 2 columns come on the sceen . its a menu to stuff that you use the arrow keys to select from. (arrow keys work here),but i dont know wht to do from there. and havent tried entering the audioflash thing yet.
          tried to run in safe mode but time runs out to choose option 3  as the keyboard is dead at that point. Tried a new key board....no difference. When time runs out windows continues to try to boot....and the bam ..the red norton box as described in first post...that says at bottom, click "OK" to run Scan disk.  But theres no cursor, the keyboard is dead ,reset button does nothing,the power switch in front ,nothing.....i have to turn off at the back of computer.      
           What a pickle this is. Nothing like this has happened before.  Can any one help...Huh?Huh?        

« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 07:02:16 PM by smokinpaul » Logged

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2004, 05:57:26 PM »

Do you mind formatting your system?

Jord.
smokinpaul

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2004, 06:47:47 PM »

Formatting??? would that fix this problem ?? are there instuctions somewhere on how to do that ?  And with the very limited control i have now (please read carefully posts 1 and 2) , would i be able to format ??

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2004, 09:49:17 PM »

Well, re-formatting your Windows drive will most definitely settle the problem. Yet it will also take out your complete Windows at this moment, as well as any emails, applications you have installed etc. that are yours.

I do not like Norton. Anything Norton does will eventually screw up your system. Doesn't matter which version of Norton it is.

So I give you an option to get rid of everything. Yet I want you to think about this.
While I figure out what we might be able to rescue through DOS. Smiley

Jord.
smokinpaul

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2004, 09:58:58 PM »

OK JEE - thanks for response.....its my other computer thats freaking -up.....so no problem losing anything.........just want windows to start normal again and desktop back. thanks JEE.....pau:)
« Last Edit: August 21, 2004, 10:07:25 PM by smokinpaul » Logged

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2004, 10:17:35 PM »

Alright, I'll come back to you tomorrow then with a list of things to do.

Jord.
smokinpaul

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2004, 10:38:51 PM »

Ok Jee- Thank You !    Paul.

smokinpaul

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 10:26:26 PM »

hey Jee-.....waiting for your help.......

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 03:46:35 PM »

Excuse me for the lack of communication, but my computer decided it was the end of my harddrive's lifetime and did a dodo on me. Wink

Do you have a Windows 98 startup floppy? If you don't, you can download an image file from this link. Put it on your desktop, run it and insert an empty floppy to write the contents to.

Then with the floppy in reboot the computer (just press the reset button). I do hope your BIOS is set to boot from floppies, else uou'd have to set that first.

You will boot from the floppy and get a menu.
One option is to startup to DOS with CDROM drivers, the second option is to go to DOS without CDROM drivers loaded. Choose that one for now.

With that done you will end up on a DOS prompt with a blinking cursor.
Now type in the following: fdisk {hit Enter}
Press Y to allow for drives bigger than 512MB.
Press 3 on the menu.
You'll get the following menu:
quote:

1. Delete Primary DOS Partition [Delete this partition last]
   2. Delete Extended DOS Partition [Delete this partition next]
   3. Delete Logical DOS Drive(s) in the Extended DOS Partition [Delete these first]
   4. Delete Non-DOS Partition [These can be difficult to delete with FDISK]

Press 3 on the menu again.
When done with it, press Escape, then press 3 again, then press 2.
When done with that, press Escape, then press 3 again, then press 1.
When done with that, press Escape.

You have now deleted all your partitions on your primary harddrive.

So next thing you need to do is make a new partition.
In the main menu, press 1.
This menu looks like this:
quote:

1. Create Primary DOS Partition [Create this first]
   2. Create Extended DOS Partition [Create next, use *all* remaining space]
   3. Create Logical DOS Drive(s) in the Extended DOS Partition [Create last]

So press 1. Follow the instructions.

When the primary partition is set up (and activated), you can press Escape until you're out of the program. Press the reset button, but keep the floppy in the machine.

Remember the option to boot with the CDROM drivers? Take that one now.
Yet before you start Windows setup, format the drive first. You do that with: format C: /s {hit Enter} (keep all spaces, the /s will format the C: drive and put the DOS system boot files on the harddrive).
Follow instructions.

When done, you type in %CDROM%:\setup {hit Enter} (Where %CDROM% is the drive letter under DOS for your CDROM drive).

That should do it.

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: