MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Game Problems arrow Topic: Doom 3 and 9800 Graphics Problems !
May 19, 2019, 05:27:33 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 19, 2019, 05:27:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Doom 3 and 9800 Graphics Problems !  (Read 2455 times)
Dipro

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2004, 11:02:18 AM »

I am having a problem........ I have a PowerColor Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb, which runs like a dream on Joint Operations and Far Cry...... BUT when I start Doom 3, my screen goes all "out of joint", like a tv with really bad reception......... I put in my old Nvidia 5600 and it worked just fine, then reseated my 9800 and well, gee, it worked for about 5 minutes, actually started to play Doom, and it just "turned itself off", basically the game just vanished off my screen ! Any ideas ? any advice ? I am a bit confused, as it works like a dream with Far Cry and Joint Ops.............. please advise........

My pc specs are: P4 3.06, 1gb of RAM, XP Pro, and it's an Cube !

Very confused !

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2004, 04:34:10 PM »

Which Catalysts do you use? Ati released some beta 4.9s to help with a lot of problems for the 9800's and above. But these beta drivers can play havoc with your other games.

http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4547.html for that.

Although the 4.8 Catalysts made sure my Ati 9600 Pro played the game normal on the screen (I had to play at 800x600 or else my screen would have an offset to the right, giving me a 2 inch black bar on the left of the screen). Make sure you fully uninstall your present drivers:
through add/remove programs, uninstall the ati control panel, do not reboot.
uninstall the ati driver, do not reboot.
delete C:\Ati, then reboot.
Run Driver cleaner from http://www.driverheaven.net/cleaner/ (use the general ATI option).
Install your new Ati Catalysts. As I said, the 4.8s can help a lot already.

Also make sure you have DirectX 9.0c installed.

Jord.
Dipro

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2004, 03:20:10 PM »

I have tried the 4.9s which were released to help Doom 3, but no joy ! My other games are running like a dream, but I still haven't been able to play Doom 3 ! Gee, waiting for years for the release, and now it just sits gathering dust ! Bugger Bugger Bugger ! I am rebuilding my entire pc soon, so I will have a final go at it ! I will let you know how it goes ! Thanks for your help !

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2004, 12:06:12 AM »

I just hope you like D3 better than I did. I got well bored within the 4th level. I did manage to play it to the end, but it didn't get any better, in my humble opinion. Sad

Jord.
chriswilk201

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2004, 02:18:57 PM »

not that its any help or anything, im having exactly the same problems.  Far cry etc. plays fine, but u play doom 3 and it looks like its snowing or something.  Hope it works ok for half life 2.

Dipro

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2004, 09:33:33 AM »

Greetings ! I have solved my problems !!! Cheesy Hurraaaa ! but at a price ............ you have to completely rebuild your pc, or make sure, beyond a doubt, that no other drivers,etc are present, in any shape or form ! I completely rebuilt two computers, both with 9800 Pro cards in, and they both work 100% fine now ! Cheesy Proving ?...... that possibly an update or software caused a corruption. I did install the latest drivers immediately after the rebuild, to ensure that nothing could corrupt the installation, ie older drivers. So, there is my solution ! Cheesy Hope that you all manage to do the same, possibly without having to rebuild, but hey, it was time for a Format Party ! Thanks for all the advice ! Catcha on the rebound ! Cheesy

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2004, 03:05:26 AM »

If you'd tried the program I linked you to, you'd have had less of a problem. Sad

Jord.
Sgt. Starbuck

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2004, 08:20:53 PM »

I have the PowerColor Radeon 9800 Pro 128mb also and have played Doom 3 with the only problem being the speckles which seem to subside with the cooling of the day. In TX it's hot. Any drivers after 4.6 slow down my system so much I have to rollback.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2004, 05:47:29 PM »

Wait for the September Catalysts, they should come out any day now. Just check http://mirror.ati.com/support/driver.html regularly for the 4.9 Cats. They should solve a lot of Doom 3 problems.

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: