MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Beeps on start up. Nothing else
July 18, 2019, 11:55:01 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 18, 2019, 11:55:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beeps on start up. Nothing else  (Read 4110 times)
metal-nick-e

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: August 22, 2004, 05:10:15 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:win 98 se
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:Loud beep from internal speeker

Hi
When I turn PC on nothing happens apart from a loud beep, from inside case.
I have just up-dated my sisters 1998 pc to win 98se. I was forced to fdisk. When instalation of O/S was complete, I loaded internet connection software, But error message no modem found. Basically no driver. We did not have original disc, so I put one of my 56K modems in, to which I have driver.
Tried restarting PC, nothing, apart from a loud beep. Put old modem back in, still nothing but a beep.
What is that beep?
What have I done?
Please help. My life is now in danger.
Thanks NIck

When in Rome...
u know the rest.
KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2004, 05:28:24 PM »

Hi Nick,

The beep is what is called POST(Power-On Self Test). Basically the BIOS tests all of the hardware to make sure everything is in order. If everything is ok you'll get one short beep. Anything other than one short beep means there's a problem. Whet exectly do you hear when you turn on the computer?

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
metal-nick-e

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2004, 07:09:47 PM »

Hi
When I press the 'on' button, all the fans start, then it beeps non-stop. I kept it on for about a minute, but still nothing else happens. I've heard it might be a graphics card problem, so I put a card in out of one of my PC's. Same thing, just beeps.
Thanks Nick

When in Rome...
u know the rest.
metal-nick-e

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2004, 07:13:16 PM »

Hi
When I press the 'on' button, all the fans start, then it beeps non-stop. I kept it on for about a minute, but still nothing else happens. I've heard it might be a graphics card problem, so I put a card in out of one of my PC's. Same thing, just beeps.
Thanks Nick

When in Rome...
u know the rest.
doriansavage

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2004, 08:51:56 PM »

Try re-setting your CMOS to factory defaults--on your motherboard there'll be a coin battery. There SHOULD be a jumper near it--switch the jumper over to the next pin down on the block for 15 seconds. If there is no jumper, simply remove the battery for 15 seconds.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2004, 08:56:43 PM »

It is useful for me at least to know how many beeps you heard.
Please put them in a list as to how many long and how many short beeps you heard.

Jord.
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2004, 09:05:27 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by doriansavage

Try re-setting your CMOS to factory defaults--on your motherboard there'll be a coin battery. There SHOULD be a jumper near it--switch the jumper over to the next pin down on the block for 15 seconds. If there is no jumper, simply remove the battery for 15 seconds.

Want to come try that on my motherboard? Wink

The CMOS jumper is way on the other side of my motherboard, plus taking the CMOS battery out for 15 seconds won't help much when I leave my power cord plugged in....

Just trying to help you give help for the future. Smiley

Always ask people to remove their power cord from the back of the computer before you have them have a go at the CMOS battery. Plus the thing needs to be out for at least a minute. Older motherboards even state 30 minutes.

Of course, after you have them put in the CMOS battery again, have them replace the power cord. Smiley

But the thing is, on more and more motherboards these days, the CMOS reset jumper (if it is even there), is no longer in the neighborhood of the CMOS battery. Always refer people to their motherboard manual.

And if they don't know their motherboard or never got their manual, refer them to http://www.cpuid.com/download/cpu-z-123.zip ... The mainboard tab in this little nifty program holds many clues.

Then you can always look up their motherboard on the manufacturer's site. Cool

Jord.
metal-nick-e

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2004, 09:40:44 PM »

Hi
 I did all of the above options. But it still beeps. There are 2 tones of beep. 1 is continuous, the other is intermitant, about every second.
 I can't find find any model number of my motherboard. Can you please advise to where I might find it.
Thanks Nick

When in Rome...
u know the rest.
JAFO

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2004, 09:04:10 PM »

Knowing what kind of BIOS could be a big help. I have had a constant beeping once before , it turned out to be Award BIOS error beep for bad ram.

Take a look at this string to get a better idea of what the beeping youre experiencing might be:
http://www.mytechsupport.ca/index.php?option=com_smf&Itemid=42&topic=2200

JAFO

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2004, 09:13:34 PM »

Oh and as far as the Mother Board model, mine is next to the cmos, some manufacturers like to stick it between ISA/PCI slots, but there is a way to identify with the FCC codes also.

JAFO

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2004, 09:16:09 PM »

OOPS, hit the submit key by accident.......... we could really use an "Edit Post" option on here.
 Anyhow heres the link for a whats what on Mobo Identification:

http://techrepublic.com.com/5100-6255-1041092.html

LOL...... Thanks!
« Last Edit: August 26, 2004, 11:57:22 PM by JAFO » Logged

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2004, 11:51:06 PM »

The edit reply option is above all your posts. It's the icon with the pencil.

But yes, we could do wonders with the make of BIOS, Phoenix, Award, AMI, other?

Jord.
KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 27, 2004, 01:03:59 PM »

The non-stop beeping might show a problem with either the PSU, mobo or keyboard but without your BIOS make we can't be sure. To find your motherboard make and model you might have to take some your PCI cards to look between the slots. Some manufacturers like to stick it between the PCI/ISA slots to make life difficult for people.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
metal-nick-e

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2004, 06:15:30 PM »

Hi
I,ve found this by the pci slots "MX c991611.  28f100ppc-12c4.  r22926aobo."  There is also this in a couple of places "V/A. vt82c586b.  s7-sb.  9920ce.  TAIWAN.  121006300"
Hope this helps.
Thanks Nick

When in Rome...
u know the rest.
metal-nick-e

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2004, 06:18:31 PM »

Hi
I,ve found this by the pci slots "MX c991611.  28f100ppc-12c4.  r22926aobo."  There is also this in a couple of places "V/A. vt82c586b.  s7-sb.  9920ce.  TAIWAN.  121006300"
Hope this helps.
Thanks Nick

When in Rome...
u know the rest.
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 

Jump to: