MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: help! my computer keeps freezing
October 17, 2019, 02:16:54 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 17, 2019, 02:16:54 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: help! my computer keeps freezing  (Read 1310 times)
wildwelshman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 02, 2004, 12:06:46 PM »

Operating System Version:XP

this problem comes up when playing games, i believe it must be a hardware problem as these games used to work, after playing for a few minutes the computer freezes. THis happens even on very simply games the the computer should have no problem with. whilst playing i brought up taskmanager and it shows that the CPU usage is 100% with its focus on running the game. please help if u have any ideas

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2004, 02:34:09 PM »

Update and run any anti-virus and spyware programs you have to make sure that there's nothing taking up your CPU capacity.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 06:20:11 PM »

But when you play a game it's quite normal that your CPU usage is taking 100% of the load. I'd like to know your computer specs, drivers, which games it's about etc. etc.

Jord.
wildwelshman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2004, 06:58:17 PM »

well cant really give excat specs as i cant remember. but i know as a fact this computer should be fine as games like medal of honour used to be fine, the game specifically in question is homeworld2 but i found some old game, civnet even this ****s the machine up, i've got tons of free memory and as i said these games used to be fine,
any ideas?

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2004, 07:03:53 PM »

It could be a myriad of things. As Ross said it could be a virus or spyware, but it could also be that you are lacking in virtual memory, or that your Windows took a hit too much and has now lost some files. It could be an effect of the latest videocard drivers, DirectX version, motherboard drivers or even a Windows Update.

As said, without details there's not much I can do. Videocard, drivers, directX version, what you installed off late. etc. etc.

Jord.
KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2004, 11:15:50 AM »

Like Jee said, if you can remember installing something like a new driver or DirectX version just before these problems started happening then that could be what's causing the problem.

If you didn't install anything recently then you'll need to go through the process of elimation to try and find the problem.

If this is the case, then I'd start off with looking for virii or spyware.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: