MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Fuzzy graphics
October 19, 2019, 12:40:58 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2019, 12:40:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fuzzy graphics  (Read 1754 times)
dezza15

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 03, 2004, 09:55:44 AM »

I have had an ATI Radeon 7000 graphics accelerator card for quite some time, but it has always had a problem. Everytime I install it into my PC, when I switch it on, the screen goes fuzzy, and there appear to be three columns displaying the same fuzzy patterns.

It isn't so much of a pattern, you can just work out the Windows XP logo as it loads up, but it is still fuzzy.

Can anyone offer any hints on why it is doing it and if the problem can be rectified?

Thank you,
dezza15

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2004, 01:17:39 PM »

Hi dezza15
Make sure that your Operating System and Internet Explorer are up-to-date by visiting the Windows Update Site and downloading all of the Critical Updates and Service Packs. Also a driver update me be in order.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2004, 07:09:02 PM »

I don't see how a Windows Update or IE update will fix a videocard error, but okay. Drivers is one possibility, so pass by on http://mirror.ati.com/support/driver.html and get the latest for your system. Uninstall the old ones then install the new ones.

But you say that "Everytime you install the videocard" it goes fuzzy. If you do not have this videocard installed, what do you have installed in its place? Of that videocard or onboard chip, did you uninstall its drivers before you power down, plug in the Ati card and then power up to go install your Ati drivers?

Also, what resolution do you use? The 3 columns you see could well be that your monitor is lacking the correct drivers, or that you are running on a too high resolution for that monitor. Try scaling it down to 800x600 before you change videocards.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2004, 07:29:39 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
dezza15

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2004, 08:32:30 AM »

Hi,

I have a ATI Rage Pro PCI in its place as a graphics card. However, when I bought this, I was looking to upgrade this, which is why I bought it.

I have also tested it in a friend's computer, and it did exactly the same thing. So I would guess the graphics card is at fault.

Is it worth getting this card looked at or would it be better just to invest in a new one?

Thanks
dezza15

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2004, 11:35:46 AM »

You'd be better off buying a new one. Unless it's a card you bought first hand and is still under a year old, you probably won't have warranty on it anymore.

Jord.
dezza15

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2004, 11:48:36 AM »

Yes, I think I'll do that. The card is out of warranty, so it's not much point getting it fixed.

Thanks for all your help.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2004, 11:58:34 AM »

One word of warning though: For whatever next videocard you buy, do check on your motherboard what its maximum AGP throughput speed is. Then check if that is a minimum the other videocard can do. I'm talking about the 2x, 4x, 8x options.

Jord.
dezza15

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2004, 01:30:12 PM »

Thanks, I never knew that before.

I found out it is a 4x, so I'll be looking out for a card for this value.

Thank you,
dezza15

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2004, 01:40:56 PM »

Well, it's not really needed as most AGP8x cards are backward compatible to 4x.
You just need to check on the card that it really is, that it doesn't need AGP8x only. Some nVidia flavours need it.

Also check if the new videocard needs a seperate molex connector. Most nVidia flavours and the latest ATI flavours need that. And beware of the size of the heatsinks & fans on today's videocards. Some are so big they will take up the PCI slot next to your AGP slot as well.

Else just leave behind what you plan on buying and there'll probably be someone around here who can check up on these things for you. Smiley

Jord.
dezza15

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 04, 2004, 02:03:17 PM »

The heatsink shouldn't be a problem as the PCI slot next to the AGP is free.

I will be looking around for a good graphics card next week, hopefully that will work ok.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: