MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Sound card problems (Creative SB Live!)
July 18, 2019, 04:20:02 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
July 18, 2019, 04:20:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Sound card problems (Creative SB Live!)  (Read 1737 times)
riska

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 07, 2004, 01:26:05 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP w Service Pack 2
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Creative Sound Blaster Live! (CT4870)
Error Messages: No Audio Device)

My sound card worked perfectly until once it stopped playing any sounds. I reinstalled the drivers at least 4 times, I let Windows do it automatically and I also installed them manually. The thing is, that the device manager says the device is working properly and the drivers are installed, no conflicts. When I check the properties of the sound card it says: "Status: Driver is enabled but has not been started". Does anybody know what to do in this case, how to start the drivers?

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2004, 02:28:47 PM »

Check in your services (Start->Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Services) for an entry called Windows Audio. Make sure it is setup as Automatically and that it is started.

Jord.
riska

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2004, 01:35:41 AM »

Thanks a lot for your help! Anyway, it still doesn't work... I checked what you wrote to, the service was started and setup as automatically... Thanks anyway! Maybe I'll just try and put the card into another slot, I hope it'll help...

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2004, 08:36:27 AM »

OK, it was one thing to check. If you are in Device Manager, under Audio/Multimedia devices, is anything shown with a yellow marker through it? Any midi device or mixer?

If so, you need to force the installation of the drivers for this device.
Also, which drivers are you using? I have seen on some machines that the latest Creative drivers break the sound, while the built in drivers to XP give you the better results, but I have also seen quite the opposite, where the XP drivers break the sound.

Jord.
riska

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2004, 01:21:23 PM »

HI!
I have like Device Manager->Sounds and Audio Devices or System, and in the System menu I only have this little attention sign with my scanner and a phone connector cable, but they are working perfectly, and no other signs at all. I have a driver by Creative (5.12.2.252) but I tried XP driver too. The funny thing is that it just stopped working, I don't know why, although a I haven't added any devices recently.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2004, 12:50:55 AM »

Alright, I have found a bit of a manual on another forums that you'd best follow. They install the plug and play software enumerator, which is what is possibly the problem.

quote:
Again, these are instructions on how to install the Plug and Play Software Enumerator in XP/2k -- if it is missing. If it isn't missing and works then this wouldn't be the cause of your audio problem.

I presume swenum.inf is a Win9X/ME only file. The machine.inf solution should work for 2000 and XP. If you can't find or see the files it may be because your explorer isn't configured to show system or hidden files -- check your options or use a cmd prompt.

From an MSDOS cmd prompt type or cut and paste:
md \temp
cd \temp
copy %windir%\inf\machine.inf \temp\allmachine.inf
copy %windir%\system32\drivers\swenum.sys \temp
copy %windir%\system32\streamci.dll \temp
notepad \temp\allmachine.inf

Using notepad go to line 22 (CTRL-G 22) which should be ExcludeFromSelect=*
Delete and remove that line wherever you find it (Line 20 maybe) and save the file. Notepad and the cmd prompt can be closed.

%windir% was probably c:\windows\ and that was automatically be expanded in the windows cmd prompt.

Now, just go to Add Hardware, add a new hardware device there at the bottom, install from list, next, have disk, and select the temp directory where we copied the files (c:\temp\ in the example here).

You should have all the different machine level services listed since we've removed the ExcludeFromSelect=* which hid them all. We only want to add Plug and Play Software Enumerator and nothing else so select and install only that.

See if that helps?

Jord.
riska

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2004, 10:24:34 AM »

Thanks a lot Jee!

This solved my problem, I'm sure I hadn't been able to fix it myself.

Thanks again!

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2004, 01:12:35 PM »

You're welcome. It's one for the FAQs. Smiley

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: