MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Internet & Email arrow Topic: Spontaneous Reboots and Freezes/Stalling
October 20, 2019, 12:43:42 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 20, 2019, 12:43:42 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Spontaneous Reboots and Freezes/Stalling  (Read 3463 times)
Hansel

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 08, 2004, 04:45:45 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:

Operating System Version: XP 2002 sp1

Problem Application Name & Version:
Internet Explorer 6.0.2800
Just replaced a 128 MB PC133 SDRAM with a Kingston 256 MB PC133 SDRAM
ABIT SA6 Motherboard
PIII 873 MHz processor
Envision 17" Generic Plug and Play Monitor

Problem Hardware Make & Model:
I listed the above to see if anyone has any idea if there is a compatibility issue

Error Messages: While surfing the Internet (medical journal websites, web-based email systems, using MSN Messenger) or using the XP picture viewer (the thing that pops up with you have JPEGs from your digital camera), my computer does one of the following things:

1. Spontaneously reboots - this happens almost always when I attempt to look at a picture from my digital camera using the XP viewer (as opposed to the FinePix view that came with my camera), and very often on the interenet when view various websites (CNN.com, medical journal websites which I visit frequently to obtain journals for my thesis, my university web-based email client server)

2. My computer stalls - I thought it was because I didn't have a lot of RAM (128 RM), so I bought more (now at 256 MB) since putting this in yesterday the stalling seems to become more frequent, although it was pretty frequent before with the 128 MB RAM). One month ago I switched from dial-up to high speed. I never has stalling or freezing with dial-up (but did have the spontaneous rebooting problem very frequently), only since having high speed (Bell Sympatico)

3. The computer "shuts down" but is still on - meaning, there is no logner a picture on my screen but the monitor is on, and the CPU is on but won't allow a cold reboot - I have to turn the power bar off and on again.

I am running AVG anti-virus and nothing comes up ever.
I've noticed a few times that there is "file" on my desktop that has the generic XP thumbnail (meaning its not associated with any program that I have on my computer) and is simply a "~"

When I do a "search" of the files on my computer, I find a folder on my harddrive (outside my documents in the C drive) that has this "~" with a bunch of files like the one on my desktop.

I've also been receiving emails to my home account (using Outlook Express) that have no subject line, no sender information, and no text of anything in the message - its all blank. I delete them instantly.

I've done the Hijack This scan as recommended and these are the results below. If anyone has any insight on if I have a virus or a bogus computer that needs to be smashed, I'd really appreciate hearing your advice. I'm trying to complete my MSc thesis and I seem to have to reboot my computer 15 times a day.

Thank You

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 12:08:37 PM, on 9/8/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\Sympatico Consumer\IPClient.exe
C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\Sympatico Consumer\IPMon32.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\FinePixViewer\QuickDCF.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\HOTSYNC.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Bell\Access Manager\app\TangoService.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\IEXPLORE.EXE
C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IDMan.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.google.ca/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: IDM Helper - {0055C089-8582-441B-A0BF-17B458C2A3A8} - C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IDMIECC.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [www.hidro.4t.com   ] enbiei.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe"  -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Workflow] D:\Workflow.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightLAN 01] "C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\Sympatico Consumer\IPClient.exe" -l
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightMonitor 01] "C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\Sympatico Consumer\IPMon32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickFinder Scheduler] "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 11\Programs\QFSCHD110.EXE"
O4 - Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\HOTSYNC.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Exif Launcher.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download All Links with IDM - C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IEGetAll.htm
O8 - Extra context menu item: Download with IDM - C:\Program Files\Internet Download Manager\IEExt.htm
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O10 - Unknown file in Winsock LSP: c:\windows\system32\idmmbc.dll
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{1DCAD7F4-EB40-474E-8F25-BB612E23BEB6}: Domain = sympatico.ca
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{1DCAD7F4-EB40-474E-8F25-BB612E23BEB6}: NameServer = 192.168.2.1

Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 07:33:08 AM »

Delete this file first by carrying out the instructions and then remove the entry from the log if its still there..Make sure you get the patch first..

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [www.hidro.4t.com ] enbiei.exe

1) Disconnect your computer from the local area network or Internet

2) Terminate the running program

Open the Windows Task Manager by either pressing CTRL+ALT+DEL, selecting the Processes tab or selecting Task Manager and then the process tab on WinNT/2000/XP machines.
Locate one of the following programs (depending on variation), click on it and End Task or End Process
MSBLAST.EXE
*****32.EXE
TEEKIDS.EXE
MSPATCH.EXE
MSLAUGH.EXE
ENBIEI.EXE <----- it will be this one

Close Task Manager
3) Install the patches for the DCOM RPC Exploit, you can download the patches from the link below before disconnecting

Windows XP Pro/Home Edition
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=2354406c-c5b6-44ac-9532-3de40f69c074&displaylang=en

« Last Edit: September 09, 2004, 07:35:05 AM by Pancake » Logged

An Australian Member of

EDDY
Hansel

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2004, 11:09:08 PM »

Pancake - thank you very much for your help. I really appreciate it.
I did what you suggested, but the only problem was that enbiei.exe was nowhere to be found when I ran task manager and looked under processes. So I went disconnect from my LAN, when back to Hijack this, deleted the file using that, and then ran and installed the patch and re-booted my computer. My new hijack this report is below - the file seems to be gone. Did I do the correct thing? I wasn't sure if I should have deleted the file using Hijack This since it wasn't in task manager.  Thanks again for your help.

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 7:02:49 PM, on 9/9/2004
Platform: Windows XP SP1 (WinNT 5.01.2600)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\System32\smss.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\winlogon.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\services.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\lsass.exe
C:\WINDOWS\system32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\svchost.exe
C:\WINDOWS\Explorer.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\system32\spoolsv.exe
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe
C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe
C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe
C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\Sympatico Consumer\IPClient.exe
C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\Sympatico Consumer\IPMon32.exe
C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe
C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
C:\Program Files\FinePixViewer\QuickDCF.exe
C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\HOTSYNC.EXE
C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgserv.exe
C:\Program Files\Bell\Access Manager\app\TangoService.exe
C:\Program Files\iPod\bin\iPodService.exe
C:\WINDOWS\System32\wuauclt.exe
C:\HJT\HijackThis.exe

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Connection Wizard,ShellNext = http://www.google.ca/
R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = 127.0.0.1
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHelper.dll
O3 - Toolbar: &Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\System32\msdxm.ocx
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AVG_CC] C:\PROGRA~1\Grisoft\AVG6\avgcc32.exe /STARTUP
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [TkBellExe] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Real\Update_OB\realsched.exe"  -osboot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [REGSHAVE] C:\Program Files\REGSHAVE\REGSHAVE.EXE /AUTORUN
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AdaptecDirectCD] "C:\Program Files\Roxio\Easy CD Creator 5\DirectCD\DirectCD.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightLAN 01] "C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\Sympatico Consumer\IPClient.exe" -l
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [IPInSightMonitor 01] "C:\Program Files\Visual Networks\Visual IP InSight\Sympatico Consumer\IPMon32.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KernelFaultCheck] %systemroot%\system32\dumprep 0 -k
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickTime Task] "C:\Program Files\QuickTime\qttask.exe" -atboottime
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [iTunesHelper] C:\Program Files\iTunes\iTunesHelper.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [QuickFinder Scheduler] "C:\Program Files\WordPerfect Office 11\Programs\QFSCHD110.EXE"
O4 - Startup: HotSync Manager.lnk = C:\Program Files\Sony Handheld\HOTSYNC.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: Exif Launcher.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Microsoft Office.lnk = C:\Program Files\Microsoft Office\Office\OSA9.EXE
O4 - Global Startup: WinZip Quick Pick.lnk = C:\Program Files\WinZip\WZQKPICK.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{1DCAD7F4-EB40-474E-8F25-BB612E23BEB6}: Domain = sympatico.ca
O17 - HKLM\System\CCS\Services\Tcpip\..\{1DCAD7F4-EB40-474E-8F25-BB612E23BEB6}: NameServer = 192.168.2.1

Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 01:39:13 AM »

You done everything right..well done.Just remove this from the log and you should then be ok..

An Australian Member of

EDDY
Hansel

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2004, 01:02:42 AM »

Pancake - thank you so much for your help.
Things are looking much better now - knock on wood.
I really appreciate you taking the time to help me with this.
My sincerest thanks.

Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2004, 01:20:33 AM »

Your welcome...

An Australian Member of

EDDY
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: