MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Help with older PC with new video card
November 20, 2019, 11:19:25 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2019, 11:19:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help with older PC with new video card  (Read 645 times)
kk

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 09, 2004, 08:07:38 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows 98
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Nvidia Geforce 4 MMX440-T8X (AGP)
Error Messages:

I recently installed this video card in my older PC. Replaced a Geforce 3, which ran fine until it died. Now I'm afraid it might be too powerful. I'm not having too much trouble, the cursor seems to freeze up if I have too many windows open at once or too many apps going at the same time. Please advise which component(s) I should upgrade for a better operation.

Things I think may be a problem:

200 watt power supply (are these hard to change? I'm thinking no)

Pentium 2 processor (I wouldn't be comfortable changing this)

Intel 440 BX/ZX ver 3 chipset. I know this probably should have new drivers. Would appreciate details on how to go about doing this.

Bios has never been "flashed". Don't know how to do it, but since the PC was built in 1999, it probably needs it, right?

As far as I can tell, I only have one cooling fan in my case, by the power supply. Should I have more and can I mount them anywhere there is room in there? I do have heat sinks on my processor and on the video card.

Should I just throw in the towel, and build my own system? This option is looking attractive at this point. Smiley

Thank you,
kk

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2004, 10:20:53 PM »

It's a bit of a wonder it runs at all, for the GF4 MX440 is an AGP4x/8x card (AGP Specification 3.0). The AGP port on your motherboard can do at max 2x.

There won't be a BIOS flash possible to up the bandwidth of the AGP port, because it's bound by the 440BX/ZX chipset. Thus, if you want to keep using this PC, you need to find yourself a videocard that's lower than this. Or you can follow up on your idea in the end and pack together a new system.

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: