MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Game Problems arrow Topic: Generals Zero Hour crawls
September 17, 2019, 03:53:29 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 17, 2019, 03:53:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Generals Zero Hour crawls  (Read 1414 times)
peacee

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2004, 07:45:34 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows XP (no service packs)
Problem Application Name & Version: C&C Generals Zero Hour Expansion with the latest patch update.
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Gforce 4200 Ti 128mb
Error Messages:Getting slower and slower

Well I have this pc for 20 months now, a P4 2.4 GH running with 512mb RAM 266HZ and I get problems with the game. Lately its very slow and some times it stucks and becomes 10-20 times slower than what it should be. I'm currently on XP proffesional with no service packs freshly formated and still the same. When I first bought the game I only had 256 RAM and worked fine.
I have tested it both with SP1 and SP2 and still the same. These problems begun 2 months ago.
Is there a problem with nvidias latest drivers? I have tried windows update drivers too, and still the same.

Hope this is the correct place to post this:)
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 07:54:17 AM by peacee » Logged

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2004, 02:40:43 PM »

How do you install all these drivers? Do you uninstall the old ones, with a reboot of the system, prior to installing the new ones? If you don't, try that for once. Or use Driver Cleaner to uninstall your videocard drivers.

Another thing, did you reinstall your motherboard chipset drivers after you reformatted & reinstalled Windows? And which DirectX version are you using?

Jord.
peacee

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2004, 03:28:42 PM »

I update the drivers.
If the system asks for a reboot I certainly reboot.
I used both the same drivers for my motherboard and the updated ones from the site.
I use the latest Directx from microsoft's update.

I know it must be something I forget but since I'm thinking upgrading my ram to 1 gb and 333hz instead of 266 it can't keep doing the same problem. Maybe i'll change my nvidia with 5900 256 mbs!

Imagine next month with Half-Life 2. I will only be able to watch the introduction!
« Last Edit: September 14, 2004, 03:35:40 PM by peacee » Logged

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2004, 08:51:46 PM »

You updating the drivers is a main problem. By updating them you just overwrite them. The better way of doing things, though slow, is to uninstall drivers, reboot, then install the next ones. Or as I pointed to use the Driver Cleaner option, then after a reboot install the new drivers.

By overwriting drivers, you leave parts of the old drivers in the registry and for Windows to load. So they don't interact. Thus may slow down your gaming.

Adding faster RAM to your PC won't help you either, as it isn't the RAM that is slowing you down, it's gamewise, driverwise, harddrive based.

Adding a faster videocard won't do you any good either. Unless you find out what made it going slow lately in the first place. So clean out your harddrive(s), defrag them, make sure it isn't just a case of harddrive clogging, before you think of spending money. Smiley

Jord.
peacee

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2004, 11:09:20 AM »

Thanks Jee for your time.
I will give them a shot. Hopefully the problems will be resolved.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: