MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: devices won't work under xp, hd fdd cd-rom
November 11, 2019, 11:13:51 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 11, 2019, 11:13:51 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: devices won't work under xp, hd fdd cd-rom  (Read 774 times)
hpm

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 10, 2004, 09:39:53 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: xp
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:adaptec cd-rom LTN403L, laptop hd IBM-DSOA-20810, floppy drive standard 1.44mb
Error Messages:

i have xp pro installed and drives don't work. first all are shown in bios, the cd-rom doesn't appear any where in xp my computer or device manager, the hd is only shown in device manager and is not accessable even through the disk defrag, the floppy drive hasn't worked ever and is disconnected and wasn't installed with xp but shows up in my computer and device manager but it did that in 2k with the same results. i think i need drivers but can't find any,. every time i boot i get a add a new hardware wizard but the device name isn't familiar it's just a string of letters and punctuation that i searched for and found nothing on the web, and it wont install or tell me the location of it. i have two other harddrives and they show up just fine, and i have a harddrive converter on the laptop hd
other than that it's a bp6 dual celeron board and a box i put together.
Any ideas?

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2004, 10:25:29 PM »

Excuse me... 3 harddrives in a laptop? Or do you mean partitions?

The other thing I am wondering about, the floppy drive, did you disable the floppy drive controller in the BIOS? For else Win2k and XP will find a Floppy, even if it isn't there.

LAst thing I wonder about is how you installed XP? Just on top of Win2k or did you reformat and then install XP?

Jord.
hpm

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2004, 10:41:47 PM »

its not a laptop its a box, i think you'd be hardpressed to find a dual celeron laptop. anyways yes i did an upgrade from 2k. the reason the laptop hard drive isn't in the laptop is because i bought it and need to check it out before i install anything on it, but right now it's just on the ide cable with the secondary master hd

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2004, 10:56:14 PM »

Ah okay, that exlains things.

Yet although Win2k and XP are in lines comparable to eachother, they aren't when you overwrite 2000 with XP. What you should have done was a clean install. Now a lot of Windows 2000 drivers that seem to be the same as XP drivers, are in the way of XP. Thus giving you problems.

So you still need to back up any files you deem necessary to back up, then just install XP as a clean install over the Windows 2000 installation.

Unless I read something wrong again (or you just plain didn't give the info) and you did so already.

Jord.
hpm

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2004, 11:10:42 PM »

the info was there the first time you just missed the last 2 lines thats all, i think about the reinstall.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: