MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: rom drives disappeared
October 23, 2019, 03:21:59 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 23, 2019, 03:21:59 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: rom drives disappeared  (Read 935 times)
Ausman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 12, 2004, 02:42:37 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:windows xp home
Problem Application Name & Version:dvd rom and cd rw 16 10 32
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:one of your disks needs to be checked for consistency volume serial number 2 B52-17D9

I recently disconnected my dvd and cd rom drives a couple of times to hook up a drive and transfer the files from it to a new hard drive that was installed by a technician. After reconnecting the drives my computer no longer recognizes their existence and the carriages on both drives do not open nor are there any lights on them. I know this sounds like a power cable problem but I have reconnected the cables in the correct position a dozen times but to no avail. The power cable plug to the dvd rom was extremely hard to pull off but I'm sure I did not damage any pins or cause a break in any of the wiring.Why are both hard drives affected in the same way?
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated otherwise it's more of the Christmas budget going to the techies.My computer is a pentium 4 at 1.7GHz 512 mb of ram and the new hard drive is 120G although my computer shows it to be only 111G.

:-) DS

hpm

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2004, 04:45:22 AM »

does the computer see the drive in the bios when it boots up?
you also should check in the bios settings to see if all the drives are set for auto detection on boot up.  also try pushing in each of the wires seperately with the plug in the drive.  the last time i had a similar problem i didn't have a strong enough power supply to support all the drives so they wouldn't power on or show up in the bios.
it's possible, i don't know how many other drives you  have but try disconnecting one just to see if the rom drive shows up in the bios if it does that would narrow it down, you would be alright pulling the power out of the main hd for testing purposes.

Ausman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2004, 03:15:37 PM »

Thank you hpm for your reply,

I have discovered that my missing drives do not appear in the bios
and when I attach a power cable from a drive that is working to the cd rw drive it still does not appear on my computer and the carriage will not open.In the bios it just says "secondary IDE master" and "slave" not installed and when I ask the computer to install the hardware it can't find it.Could the bad drive I was trying to extract files from have done some damage in any way? Thanks for any response.

Smiley Danny

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2004, 04:11:33 PM »

Have you made sure that your IDE flatcable is connected the correct way? Meaning that the red stripe on the flatcable points to the power connector on the drive and points to PIN 1 on the motherboard IDE connection?

Jord.
Ausman

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2004, 08:33:42 PM »

Thank you Jee-nius that was the problem(both data cables were upside down on the drives)and yet they looked so natural in the position I had them LOL! You have relieved a lot of frustration and I thank you and all the people who take the time to help others.

Have a great day!

Smiley) Danny

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: