MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: Aftermath of TV Media Removal
November 12, 2019, 06:07:40 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 12, 2019, 06:07:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Aftermath of TV Media Removal  (Read 946 times)
Ertyuyu

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 20, 2004, 02:19:25 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: WindowsXP
Problem Application Name & Version: Internet Access
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Cable Modem
Error Messages: DNS Error

I just manually removed the TV Media virus from a computer.  

I used a brute-force manual solution.  I searched for all files that had been created on the present day, and deleted all ".exe" and ".dll" files that were found.  

However, now, when I try to launch my web browser and access the Internet, I get a "Can't find DNS error".  

Does TV Media change something permanently that I need to change back?

--Andrew
Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2004, 12:55:00 AM »

Can you reinstall all the files you removed.If so do it and post a hjt log.

An Australian Member of

EDDY
Ertyuyu

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2004, 12:52:17 PM »

I will run HJT next time I have access to the machine.  In the meanitime, is it possible for a hi-jacker to corrupt the drivers of a wireless router?  
------
Update:

1.  Got hijacked by TV-Media and maybe other things.
2.  Used (I now realize in hindsight) very stupid, over-the-top cleansing procedure of deleting all ".exe" and ".dll" files created on the day-of-attack, plus changing a registry key or two.
3.  After step 2, the hijack appeared stopped, but I was unable to access Internet due to Can't find DNS errors.  
4.  Ran WinSockXPFix, version 1.2.  No apparent effect on problem.
5.  Reinstalled WindowsXP from CD.  During Internet set up screens, computer still unable to connect
***6***  Removed wireless router from system.  Connected cable-modem directly to computer.  Internet connection established.

6b.  However, after placing the router back into the system, "Can't find DNS" error returns.

6c.  Attempts by other machines (showing no previous traces of hijack or viral problemss) to wirelessly use the wireless router also had produced "Can't find DNS errors".  
----------

Hypothesis:
  The hijack corrputed the wireless router drivers.  

Questions:
----------
1.  Is the above hypothesis plausible?  
2.  Will the most recent version of HJT detect corruption in a wireless router?

----------
Lessons learned:
1.  Keep updated copies of HJT and WinSockXPFix on all internet-connected machines.
2.  No more quick-and-dirty attempts at removing viruses.  Use reputable tools.
3.  Learn more about wireless security, and the additional tools and procedures needed.  

--Andrew
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: