MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: monitor depth error - monitor upgrade?
November 22, 2019, 08:05:43 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2019, 08:05:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: monitor depth error - monitor upgrade?  (Read 1767 times)
barriebasic

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2004, 02:04:28 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:windows 98se
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:dell dimension xps & samtron 75e monitor
Error Messages:monitor depth

i recently aquired a dell pent iii pc but when I try to plug in the monitor it asks for the monitor driver that I no longer have. once it has located a suitable driver from windows the pc appears fine. however, trying to load on subsequent drivers/software I get a monitor depth error. In settings it appears I can only get 16 colours, not 256. Despite loading the correct driver from samsungs site for my monitor the error continues. Another graphics card has been tried but still get the same error. My question is - if I buy a new monitor (svga, rather than my current one that appears to be a vga) will this solve the problem? or is it a graphics issue on the pc itself - in which case how do i fix it? Thanks, Barrie

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 03:08:58 PM »

Although it is wise to load the correct drivers for your monitor, the problem you have is a videocard problem. More correctly its drivers. Install the correct drivers for your videocard and you'll see that your amount of colours will increase, as well as resolution range.

The Samtron 75E isn't a VGA monitor, as you can see. Going through the download options there, I found your monitor drivers within seconds. Get them from here, unzip them and install them. Those are the Win95/98/ME drivers.

Now install the new videocard drivers (make sure you uninstall the old ones first!!) and see how you can go up to 1280x1024 in 32 bit colours.

Jord.
barriebasic

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 04:04:04 PM »

thanks - however when i referred to having got the correct drivers from samsung I was referring to the same zip file you identified. In the file is an install exe and another icon called st75e plus a read me file. when i double click on the install icon it asks me to choose standard pci graphics adapter (VGA) and then the only option to choose monitor: samtrom 75(m)E. It then asks me to insert a samtron disc (which i don't have). If I ignore this and continue it says installation successful straight away but alas nothing changes.

The thing is i don't mind forking out for a cheapish new monitor if I can be confident that this will solve the problem. I realy appreciate your help but any other ideas ?

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2004, 04:22:29 PM »

That's most probably because you haven't installed the correct drivers for your videocard. What kind of videocard do you have?

Oh and you don't need to use the install.exe file in the zip file for the monitor. All you need to do is go to your monitor (in device manager for instance), properties, driver, update driver and then point to the st75e.inf file. Then follow the rest of the update options in Windows. (Mind, my Win98 memory is a bit rusty, so it is possible parts of the description are different.)

Jord.
barriebasic

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2004, 04:32:39 PM »

re: video card - i have no idea! - i've inherited the dell pc and someone else gave me a second hand graphics card which somehow I managed to install myself (i've never taken the back off a pc before. To be honest, I don't know the diffrence between the two (i didn't choose the nick 'basic' for nothing). If it helps, the thing does now point at the 75e profile on settings.....

again thanks but i'm struggling...

barriebasic

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 04:46:11 PM »

actually i'm lying- the pc can't find the file st75e.inf and instead defaults to msdisp.inf every time....

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2004, 05:42:38 PM »

OK. Smiley

Let's try to install some drivers for your videocard first then.

You have two videocards now, right? You said you changed it already.
Are they PCI cards or AGP cards? If you're not certain, did you plug the card in a white slot, or in a different colour slot (brown, green, purple)?

The next bit is to find out if it has the nvidia or Ati chipset. These two are the mainstream, most common graphics cards. You should be able to read on the card what it is.

If it is an nvidia card, get your drivers from here.
If it is an Ati card, get your drivers from here.

If it is something else, please tell me.

Jord.
barriebasic

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2004, 09:59:04 AM »

hi J, thanks for all your help but my girlfriend has decided to bring this to a quick conclusion by insisting I take some of my modest savings and go and buy a new budget xp system with tft monitor etc. and stop using precious 'quality time' wrestling with now unsupported windows 98, second hand bits and pieces and lengthy downloads of drivers that may or may not work. Obviously she's missing the point (saving a few quid, learning a bit more about the workings of PC's etc) but sometimes its better to yeild to a higher authority. I really do appreciate your efforts and I'm glad i registered with this forum. Next question is do I risk driving to pc world or dixons (such piss poor customer service) or buy online with eversham or similar brand direct. Cheers again
Barrie

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2004, 10:17:25 PM »

I'd take the online option. The girlfriend wouldn't even be able to get me into Dixons or PC World (yuck) at gunpoint.

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: