MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: Local Area Connection - Error Disconnecting
November 22, 2019, 05:41:22 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2019, 05:41:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Down Print
Author Topic: Local Area Connection - Error Disconnecting  (Read 5519 times)
rlkittle

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 25, 2004, 04:32:22 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:W2000
Problem Application Name & Version:Local Area Connection (LAC)

I am unable to disable my Local Area Connection (in use for Broadband) using the icon on the taskbar.  

I get the following error message: It is not possible to disconnect at this time. This connection may be using one or more protocols that do not support Plug-and-Play, or it may have been initiated by another user of the system account.

Any assistance would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Rob
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 10:20:52 AM by Ageless » Logged

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2004, 05:46:56 PM »

Please leave your system specs, including what kind of modem/ethernet card you use and which version of broadband (cable, ADSL, xDSL, Satellite).

In the mean time, check through Start->Settings->Network and Dial-up Connections, properties of the correct connection, if you have at least TCP/IP installed, as well as Client for Microsoft Networks.

Jord.
rlkittle

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2004, 10:21:42 PM »

I am connecting to an NTL set-top cable box - I guess it is ADSL as the speed is only 300 - using the USB port which shows 'EZ connect to Dual Speed Ethernet Converter'.  Client, File & Printer sharing and TCP/IP are showing on the Local Area Connection properties (Type LAN).

The problem is a recent one, as it always used to disable ok.  I am wondering whether I have some spyware using the port and stopping me disable it?  I have cleaned up the registry for spyware keys reported by XoftSpy and Spyhunter.

Thanks for your response.
Rob

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 01:12:09 AM »

Download, update and use most of the spyware programs here, take a notice of the site the FAQ is for (PCFormat)and post it there as well, with full mention. It may be something other than spyware, but my knowledge of English/UK BB providers is lacking.

Jord.
rlkittle

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2004, 09:12:43 AM »

I used the spyware programs in your link and AVG found a virus; reloaded the NTL driver and now all is well.

Thanks!
Rob

rlkittle

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 10:16:20 AM »

Problem back very quickly; now will not disable at all.  My laptop will not suspend because of this - very annoying.  

These other people have the same problem: http://forums.computingreview.com/showthread.php?t=262 (see my note to him and the link to the other board)

We are all stuck and any help would be appreciated.

Rob

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 11:28:44 AM »

I'll see what I can dig up with my English contacts using NTL.

In the mean time, I've moved this post to the Networking forums. Smiley
You'll probably be asked to leave a Hijack This log.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2004, 10:21:32 AM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 01:18:53 PM »

Okay, I have spoken to a friend who uses NTL. Although he uses a cable modem, which is the better option of the two as I understand it (the set-top box is way slower than a cable modem is), he did give me a clue or two.

What you can try to do before you disconnect from NTL, is unplug the USB cable between your laptop and the set-top cable box, then disconnect, then plug the cable back in. It may work, it may be cumbersome for now, but if that works until we can come up with a better solution, then be glad.

I'll be checking into some other options, but for that I need your laptop's specifics, as in brand & model. And the brand and model of the set-top box that you connect to NTL with.
« Last Edit: October 12, 2004, 01:20:01 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
rlkittle

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2004, 02:45:01 PM »

Thanks Jee:

This is what I am now doing - disconnecting the cable to the USB socket so that the laptop will suspend properly. I have an IBM ThinkPad T20 (2647) using w2000 SR2, but do not believe it is hardware related - see this from M$ - http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=237288

You will see that the problem is not just with NTL - this guy is using Blue Yonder ISP - http://forums.computingreview.com/showthread.php?t=262

Rob

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 03:07:36 PM »

The link to the MS site is nice, but it's the wrong Windows version. That one applies to a server version.

As for the guy with BY as ISP, doesn't BY also connect through USB? So then you're right it isn't an ISP question, but more a USB problem.
Windows 2000 Service Release 2, does that have Service Pack 4 included? If not, have you tried putting SP4 for Win2k on your system? It has additional fixes for USB.

I'll be checking your Thinkpad out, see if I can find any updated USB drivers for it.

Jord.
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2004, 03:21:29 PM »

Okay, check out these USB updates, are they dated later than the version you already have?

You can also check out options for a newer BIOS version, the latest in the list is 1.22 .. So the question is, which version do you run?

Jord.
rlkittle

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2004, 12:10:02 PM »

J: I have updated from SP2 to SP4 and to the latest BIOS, but I do not think it has made a difference.  Here is what happens now:

If the USB cable is connected after booting the pc, or after bringing back from standby, it is then possible to disable via the taskbar icon; but not if the cable was connected when starting the pc, or after standby.

If the pc tries to enter standby with the ISP connected, it will only do so if the pc has been booted without the USB cable connected and it has not previously entered standby.  The error message here is:

'System Standby Failed - The device driver for the EZ Connect USB to Dual Speed Ethernet Converter device is preventing the machine from entering standby. Please close all applications and try again. If the problem persists, you may need to update this driver.'

Good news is I can touch type and pull USB plugs!

Thanks again for your help.

Rob

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2004, 03:33:42 PM »

Nice name for the device. I stuck it into Google though and it came up with a newer driver that you can test, if you want. Go to http://www.smc-europe.com/english/products/network.html and look for the bottom most link, next to "EZ Connect USB 2.0 to Fast Ethernet Converter" ... Press the more info, you'll see a new window open up, hence why I couldn't link to it directly. Is this your USB to Fast Ethernet Converter? If it is, press the Drivers link and download the 22KB zip file.

If it isn't, does it say anywhere on the converter what model number it is?
« Last Edit: October 14, 2004, 03:34:27 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
rlkittle

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2004, 06:47:10 PM »

J:
The connector is SMC 2206USB/ETH and I have downloaded and replaced the driver.

Have now established that there is a conflict between the Sygate Firewall and the USB connection!  If I disable the firewall the USB connection can be disabled at will and the pc will enter Standby whether the ISP is active or disabled, ie. it all works properly.  Just hope during these tests no spyware or viruses have hit me!

Once Sygate is up, the conditions in my previous message apply.  I have downloaded their latest software and still have the problem. Have tried unclicking some of the options to no avail.  Guess I will have to try another firewall - any you would recommend?  I use the AVG scanner.

Rob

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2004, 07:07:39 PM »

I recommend Kerio Personal Firewall 4, see what that will do with it. It's free.

Or as the download site says:
For home users, Kerio Personal Firewall 4 is available in two flavors - the full edition and the limited free edition.

After installation, KPF works as the full edition for 30 days, after which it becomes the limited free edition.

Limited free edition does not provide the content filtering capabilities such as blocking pop-up windows, ads, VB scripts, cookies, etc. and other extra features. Please see the comparison table for more details.

Jord.
Pages: [1] 2  All Go Up Print 

Jump to: