MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: Problems with Dell computer
November 12, 2019, 06:05:39 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 12, 2019, 06:05:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Problems with Dell computer  (Read 1318 times)
jeffcox

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2004, 12:37:15 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows ME
Problem Application Name & Version: Scandisk and Defrag
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Dell 4100 w/ Pentium 3
Error Messages:

I have been cleaning this computer for a friend of mine.  His complaints were a general slowness and eratic behavior of his PC.  For instance, his computer will not shut dowm properly and the cd was not working.  ALso, it hangs on shutdown both under SAFE MODE and normal startup (but it gets further under safemode).  He has also lost his fonts in som of his programs and the characters are replaced by "square" graphic characters.  That is just the start of his problems.

I inventoried the Add/Remove programs and only found one item to uninstall...
ViewPoint Media Player

I went thru his startup (msconfig) and stopped autoloading a lot of stuff...
AOL tray
PCHealth
Works Auto Update
Works Portfolio
Creative Registration Reminder
Direct CD
RealPlayer (starting hidden)
Music Match Jukebox
Quicktime
Universal Plug and Play (ssdpsrv)
MSOffice startup
Kodak Easyshare
Kodak Easyshare autoupdater
Creative AudioHQ
Money Express
I got rid of most of this because he really did not need this in the startup and he alternative ways to start these whn he did need them.

I then scanned the machine with Norton 2004, AdAware, Spybot S&D, Trend Micro Housecall, and Computer Associates online scanner.
Then I loaded the machine with Spybot IMMUNIZE and Teatimer, SpywareBlaster and ZoneAlarm firewall.

The machine was booting faster and it was running much faster when I gave it back to him.  He took it home and said he tried to run scandisk and defrag.  He called me and told that they would not run.  (I know that scandisk runs in DOS because the machine kept running it when I did a cold boot because, as I mentioned, the computer will not shut down properly.)

(NOTE: There is obviously some culprit that none of the scanners is telling me about that is writing to the disk... scandisk shows NO progress and I believe that it is because our culprit is writing to the disk and it is starting over again.)  

I advised him to boot into safe mode or do a clean boot when he runs scandisk and defrag. Well he followed the clean boot instructions and he said that the computer went into safe mode on its own.  He was able to successfully run scandisk and defrag in safe mode.  Then the problems started...  He tried to boot up normally and he says that he is getting Windows Error messages. I'm trying to get ahold of him now to identify what they are but am unable to do so.

But, in the mean time, I want someone else to look at his HijackThis log which I took before I gave the machine back to him.  Would you guys be kind enough to do that?  Maybe you can see the "culprit' that I can not see.  I'll try to get him to send a freah HiJackThis log but hopefully this one will work OK for now.

thanks,
Jeff

Logfile of HijackThis v1.98.2
Scan saved at 8:24:39 PM, on 9/15/2004
Platform: Windows ME (Win9x 4.90.3000)
MSIE: Internet Explorer v6.00 SP1 (6.00.2800.1106)

Running processes:
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\KERNEL32.DLL
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSGSRV32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SPOOL32.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MPREXE.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSTASK.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCEVTMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCSETMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\AOLACSD.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\mmtask.tsk
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\DEVLDR16.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\EXPLORER.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\RESTORE\STMGR.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\CREATIVE\SBLIVE\AUDIOHQ\AHQTB.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\SYSTRAY.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOUSEWARE\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\WMIEXE.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MICROSOFT HARDWARE\KEYBOARD\SPEEDKEY.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\LOADQM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\DELL\RESOLUTION ASSISTANT\COMMON\BIN\RXMON9X.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\MOTIVE\MOTMON.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\HPZTSB08.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\DRIVERS\KODAKCCS.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USBMONIT.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCPD-LC\SYMLCSVC.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\SYMANTEC SHARED\CCAPP.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\AOLDIAL.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\AOL SPYWARE PROTECTION\AOLSP SCHEDULER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYBOT - SEARCH & DESTROY\TEATIMER.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\MICROSOFT SHARED\WORKS SHARED\WKCALREM.EXE
C:\PROGRAM FILES\KODAK\KODAK SOFTWARE UPDATER\7288971\PROGRAM\BACKWEB-7288971.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\PSTORES.EXE
C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\LOADWC.EXE
C:\UTILITIES\HIJACKTHIS1.98\HIJACKTHIS.EXE

R1 - HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings,ProxyOverride = localhost
O2 - BHO: AcroIEHlprObj Class - {06849E9F-C8D7-4D59-B87D-784B7D6BE0B3} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\ADOBE\ACROBAT 5.0\READER\ACTIVEX\ACROIEHELPER.OCX
O2 - BHO: NAV Helper - {BDF3E430-B101-42AD-A544-FADC6B084872} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O2 - BHO: (no name) - {53707962-6F74-2D53-2644-206D7942484F} - C:\PROGRA~1\SPYBOT~1\SDHELPER.DLL
O3 - Toolbar: @msdxmLC.dll,-1@1033,&Radio - {8E718888-423F-11D2-876E-00A0C9082467} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\MSDXM.OCX
O3 - Toolbar: Norton AntiVirus - {42CDD1BF-3FFB-4238-8AD1-7859DF00B1D6} - C:\Program Files\Norton AntiVirus\NavShExt.dll
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ScanRegistry] C:\WINDOWS\scanregw.exe /autorun
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [SystemTray] SysTray.Exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [EM_EXEC] C:\PROGRA~1\MOUSEW~1\SYSTEM\EM_EXEC.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Microsoft IntelliType Pro] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Hardware\Keyboard\speedkey.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [LoadQM] loadqm.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [RxMon] C:\Program Files\Dell\Resolution Assistant\Common\bin\RxMon9x.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MadExe] C:\PROGRAM FILES\DELL\RESOLUTION ASSISTANT\COMMON\BIN\LaunchRA.exe -boot
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Speed racer] C:\Program Files\Creative\PlayCenter\CTSRReg.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AudioHQ] C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\AudioHQ\AHQTB.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [MotiveMonitor] C:\Program Files\Motive\motmon.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [hpppta] C:\Program Files\Hewlett-Packard\HP PrecisionScan\PrecisionScan\hpppta.exe /ICON
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [HPDJ Taskbar Utility] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\hpztsb08.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [KodakCCS] C:\WINDOWS\System32\Drivers\KodakCCS.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [USBMonit.exe] "C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\USBMonit.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [Symantec Core LC] C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\CCPD-LC\symlcsvc.exe start
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [ccApp] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccApp.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOLDialer] C:\Program Files\Common Files\AOL\ACS\AOLDial.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [AOL Spyware Protection] "C:\PROGRA~1\COMMON~1\AOL\AOLSPY~1\AOLSP Scheduler.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [devldr16.exe] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\devldr16.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [LoadPowerProfile] Rundll32.exe powrprof.dll,LoadCurrentPwrScheme
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [SchedulingAgent] mstask.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [*StateMgr] C:\WINDOWS\System\Restore\StateMgr.exe
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [StillImageMonitor] C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\STIMON.EXE
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ScriptBlocking] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\Script Blocking\SBServ.exe" -reg
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccEvtMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccEvtMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [ccSetMgr] "C:\Program Files\Common Files\Symantec Shared\ccSetMgr.exe"
O4 - HKLM\..\RunServices: [AolAcsDaemon1] "C:\PROGRAM FILES\COMMON FILES\AOL\ACS\AOLACSD.EXE"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [MoneyAgent] "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Money\System\Money Express.exe"
O4 - HKCU\..\Run: [SpybotSD TeaTimer] C:\PROGRAM FILES\SPYBOT - SEARCH & DESTROY\TeaTimer.exe
O4 - Startup: Microsoft Works Calendar Reminders.lnk = C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Works Shared\wkcalrem.exe
O4 - Startup: Resolution Assistant.lnk = C:\Program Files\Dell\Resolution Assistant\MotiveAssistant\bin\matcli.exe
O4 - Startup: Kodak software updater.lnk = C:\Program Files\Kodak\KODAK Software Updater\7288971\Program\backWeb-7288971.exe
O8 - Extra context menu item: &Define - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O8 - Extra context menu item: Look Up in &Encyclopedia - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O9 - Extra button: Encarta Encyclopedia - {2FDEF853-0759-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Encarta Encyclopedia - {2FDEF853-0759-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_ENC.HTM
O9 - Extra button: Define - {5DA9DE80-097A-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: Define - {5DA9DE80-097A-11D4-A92E-006097DBED37} - C:\Program Files\Common Files\Microsoft Shared\Reference 2001\A\ERS_DEF.HTM
O9 - Extra button: Real.com - {CD67F990-D8E9-11d2-98FE-00C0F0318AFE} - C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM\Shdocvw.dll
O9 - Extra button: AOL Instant Messenger (SM) - {AC9E2541-2814-11d5-BC6D-00B0D0A1DE45} - C:\PROGRAM FILES\AIM95\AIM.EXE
O9 - Extra button: Messenger - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O9 - Extra 'Tools' menuitem: MSN Messenger Service - {FB5F1910-F110-11d2-BB9E-00C04F795683} - C:\Program Files\Messenger\MSMSGS.EXE
O12 - Plugin for .spop: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\Plugins\NPDocBox.dll
O12 - Plugin for .pdf: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\PLUGINS\nppdf32.dll
O14 - IERESET.INF: START_PAGE_URL=http://www.dellnet.com/
O16 - DPF: {E77C0D62-882A-456F-AD8F-7C6C9569B8C7} (ActiveDataObj Class) - https://www-secure.symantec.com/techsupp/activedata/ActiveData.cab
O16 - DPF: {74D05D43-3236-11D4-BDCD-00C04F9A3B61} (HouseCall Control) - http://a840.g.akamai.net/7/840/537/2004061001/housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/xscan53.cab
O16 - DPF: {7B297BFD-85E4-4092-B2AF-16A91B2EA103} (WScanCtl Class) - http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/virusinfo/webscan.cab
O16 - DPF: ppctlcab - http://www.pestscan.com/scanner/ppctlcab.cab
O16 - DPF: {2FC9A21E-2069-4E47-8235-36318989DB13} (PPSDKActiveXScanner.MainScreen) - http://www.pestscan.com/scanner/axscanner.cab

Pancake
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2004, 01:26:08 AM »

Looks like you will have to look elsewhere for you problem.There is nothing in the log to cause your problem...

An Australian Member of

EDDY
jeffcox

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2004, 01:51:02 AM »

So what you're saying is that it is not malware causing the issue?  Are you saying that it is just a problem with the operating system or something at this point in time that this forum is not prepared to deal with?  Is there someone who can give me any more ideas as to where to start... like, is reloading the operating system the best answer here?

thanks,
Jeff

jvic
Visiting Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2004, 08:51:18 AM »

try ctl+alt+del and end task everything but explorer and systray

John Vickers
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: