MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: My Computer issue
November 11, 2019, 08:44:48 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 11, 2019, 08:44:48 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My Computer issue  (Read 1429 times)
nortely

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: September 26, 2004, 03:47:36 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Windows xp home SP-2 Pentium 4  2.6mhz
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:AppName: explorer.exe    AppVer: 6.0.2900.2180    ModName: shell32.dll

My problem is in My Computer if I try to right click on my hard drive i get this program will be shut down. I can open the hard drive, but if I try to right click on any other file or program inside no matter how many levels i get into it, I get the error, and then it quits responding. I have to use task manager to close My Computer down. This seems to have been this way for quite a while. I have since done many upgrades, including SP-2. I was told that it was an IE problem, and to reload it. But I would rather hear from the real experts before I do anything. I have run virus scans, adaware se, spysweeper, search and destroy and so on. I can't seem to find any adaware, virus, or malware to cause this. So I assume it is something with the operating system.  Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Nort
PS:  I can right click on my floppy drive, and my drdrw drive with no problems.

NORT
nortely

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2004, 03:07:52 AM »

I was wondering if anyone had been able to take a look at this for me? Or is this a stupid post? If anyone has time I would appreciate some help.  Thanks
Nort

NORT
Wainui

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2004, 09:22:43 AM »

Have you tried System Restore ?

nortely

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2004, 09:18:31 PM »

Yes I went back as far as system restore would let me go.  It still had the same trouble. I am not sure how long this problem has been on here. This is not something that I use all the time. That was one of the first things I did. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nort

NORT
Wainui

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2004, 03:19:56 AM »

Follow the instructions in this Tutorial to Repair Windows XP and let us know how you get on.

http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/repair.txt

nortely

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2004, 02:39:15 AM »

I have been out of town. I will work on this tomorrow.  thanks for your help. I will post my results.

NORT
nortely

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 04:13:03 AM »

I was about to follow your instructions today when I was clearing out some garbage with HJ THis. Pancake gave me instructions on how to do this. He had me run HJ  in the safe mode. While I was in the safe mode I noticed I couldright click on my c: drive and go to properties. I tried it about 10 times without a problem. Once I finished deleting things and rebooting I tried it in normal mode. It gives me the error every time. I thought I had better tell you this before I tried to break out the xp disk. I just want to be sure this doen't change the way I need to fix this.  Sorry if I am too cautious for you. I reall y get nervous when I have to put in operating system disks.
Please tell me if you feel this is still the right way to go.

Thanks

Nort

NORT
Wainui

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 06:16:22 AM »

Nortely,
If you are still having problems with Winodws XP in Normal Mode then have a go with that Tutorial I recommended. Just read it thoroughly to make sure that you know what to do. And don't be afraid. If you get into any trouble you can always abort.
Go for it.

nortely

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2004, 02:45:59 AM »

I did as per your instructions. I booted from my xp disk. then chose the repair option.It ran for quite a while. stopped during process asking me for a file ix something. It said it was not in the wutemp file. i couldn't find this anywhere. Checked xp disk, not there. And couldn't find it on the c: drive either. I finally just canceled it and it finished. It took forever for this thing to boot up. When it did it didn't have my intel graphics installed. It gave me an error and then installed it. Then it showed my monitor was a generic one. So I went in and updated the drivers. Then it showed as the right monitor. A dell e-15 flat screen. I am unable to select a screen size other than the smallest, or the largest. So that tells me something is hosed up. I started windows updates in the mean time. It installed the express install first and had me reboot. Now on every start up when it gets to starting windows it sets there for close to 4 minutes then finally boots up. I checked and my problem with right clicking on the c: drive in my computer is still not fixed. I seem to have alot more troubles now. Service pack 2 is installing as we speak. Can you tell me what to check to get this thing to boot up like it used to? Also can you tell me how to get back different screen sizes? This was why I was nervous about loading in the xp disk. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Nort

NORT
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: