MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Fdisk Partition
June 06, 2020, 08:36:14 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2020, 08:36:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Fdisk Partition  (Read 1281 times)
cecilia25

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2004, 02:14:38 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:WinMe
Problem:FDISK Partition
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Intel Processor P4

Hi Guys Grin, I need your advise ... EmbarrassedRecently I let a friend of my play with my PC, he's into PC games...which I  don't mind...but one day well he decided to re-format my hd cuz he though something was wrong w/ my PC, so first thing he does, go to the fdisk command, and just scrub my partition...I'm not a wiz, I've try to get info from the net...but no luck Sad Undecided. Well he ended up leaving after he finish playing with the following info:
Current fixed disk drive: 1
Partition   Status   Type   Volume Label   Mbytes   System   Usage
C: 1           A     PRIM DOS               2047     FAT32     5%
   2                 EXT DOS               36115           95%  

Sad he left me with 2.0 gb of memory, can't do nothing... Can my partition be set up so my PRI usage is 100%, I've tried to delete my EXT DOS but can't,??? ...how can I fix my problem ...any advise r more than welcome ...Wink    

By the way while I was surfing the net I found the following product http://www.partition-recovery.com/ , have u use it b4, do u recommended???
« Last Edit: October 02, 2004, 02:45:08 AM by cecilia25 » Logged

Wainui

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 06:58:45 AM »

I think you will find these instructions easier to follow :
http://openosx.com/wintelTutorial98/04.html

Do you have a Windows ME Startup disk or a Windows 98SE Startup disk ? If you don't, then you can get one from :
http://www.bootdisk.com/bootdisk.htm

cecilia25

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 01:28:57 PM »

Thanks for the advise, but what I'm trying to do is delete my extended MS-DOS partition and put it into one Embarrassed.
I get the following error message Sad when I try to do this "Cannot delete Extended DOS Partition while logical drivers exist." Can you explain what steps should I follow in order to do this...By the way the link you provided is it for Win ME ...That's the O/S I'm using ...Please advise Embarrassed
« Last Edit: October 03, 2004, 01:45:33 PM by cecilia25 » Logged

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 08:05:15 PM »

Cecilia
Your problem isn't really a problem. Smiley

What your friend forgot to do when he reformatted your PC is answer Yes to the question 'Do you want to allow access to Large Disks' - and this resulted in the limit of 2GB to the C: partition.
There are pl;enty of people running ME happily with only that amount of disk space - providing you're aware of it, it simply means that your housekeeping needs to be effective, and you must install all programs to the D: drive.

Without reformatting, or using third-party software, there's not a lot else you can do

PROVIDING there's no data on the second partition, then you can use third-party software to merge the two partitions - my suggestion would be BootItNG - from www.bootitng.com which has a free 30-day full-function trial.

Noel Paton
(MS - MVP, Windows, 2002-2006)

Nil Carborundum Illegitemi
www.crashfixpc.com
cecilia25

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 09:18:16 PM »

Thanks for all your help Guys ...
If I download the BootItNG download, will this help merge my two partition into one, is this Win Me compatible. Currently I a=only have the Extended Dos Partion Active which only uses 95%, do I need to create the Primary Partion which uses 5%, in order for this download to work and be able to use 100% usage for my Primary Partition ...
Thanks again Guys, really appreciate your help .

cecilia25

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 03, 2004, 09:23:35 PM »

By the way ... is anyone familiar with this link http://www.partition-recovery.com/

Will this download help me as well ?Smiley

NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2004, 09:31:41 PM »

BootItNG (BING for short) is compatible with all versions of Windows - and also with most other operating systems.
There's no need to install it as such - you only need to create the boot disk, and use the partition manager aspect of it.

It will allow you to delete the second partition, and resize the first one, so that it takes up as much of the HD as you want.

Make sure that you read the instructions first!! - any questions, then ask before leaping into the dark.

As with any work of this kind there is a small risk that it may go wrong, and you'll lose your data - so BACK UP FIRST!!!!

Noel Paton

www.crashfixpc.com
NoelMVP

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2004, 09:37:57 PM »

re: "Active Partition Recovery"
It may have helped, if you'd got back to the system immediately after the original reformat - but it's unlikely to help now

Noel Paton

www.crashfixpc.com
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: