MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Crash: Power off and Siren
June 06, 2020, 06:36:08 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 06, 2020, 06:36:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Crash: Power off and Siren  (Read 1604 times)
Yurigi

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 02, 2004, 11:33:33 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Win XP Professional
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Abit NFS7
AMD Athlon 2000+ XP
512 Mb RAM (dunno what)
Radeon 9500

Ok, my problem is a crash that shutdown my computer entirely and leaves on an annoing siren. This happens mostly when starting up the machine and then launching an application that requires a bit more performance than web browser or MIrc(mostly games). I have to cut the power from the power source to shut the siren down and to reboot. It would be great to get a solution other than keeping my machine on 24/7.

According to a hardware monitoring program, my heats stay at cpu 50/system 40 degrees with  standard coolings + 1 fan in the back of the case. Is that too much for AMD? But the symptoms don't point to overheating (in my opinion).

I'm grateful for any assistance.

Strength and honor!
KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 01:25:33 PM »

I know you don't think it's overheating but it might well be. Usually this only happens when the CPU overheats. It happened to me a few times. What hardware monitoring program are you using? Are those temps for the CPU or just the system? Can you tell me the temps for the CPU at idle and at full load(100%). You should also check your BIOS and see what the emergency shutdown temperature for the CPU is set at, if this is too low then the computer will shutdown way before the temps get to danger levels.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
Yurigi

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2004, 01:49:55 PM »

Ok, after some testing, here are the values you requested:

Using Motherboard Monitor 5.3.6.0
CPU idle:38C ; CPU full load:45,5C ; System idle:28C ; System full load:32C

The fans 1 and 3 (as detected by the MBM) run at 2177 and 2743rpm, respectively.

I have already taken some steps in BIOS before this and the switch for fan fail is off as is the emergency shutdown switch. The warning temperature is at 75C, so it shouldn't react too early either.

Strength and honor!
KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2004, 07:36:10 PM »

Yeah that's odd. All of these settings and temps should be ok. Is this a new computer( just been built) or an old one? If it's a new computer then I would check that the heatsink is seated properly just in case it's not. Has this been happening for a while now or did it jsut start happening recently? Just as a matter of interest what BIOS do you have?

Ross

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2004, 06:28:25 PM »

Update your BIOS version to at least 20
This fixes amongst other things: Fixed the intermittent sirens when getting into Windows 2000 or XP with both "Shutdown when CPUFAN Fail" and "CPU Shutdown Temperature " enabled in PC Health Status.

BIOS updates

Jord.
Yurigi

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2004, 10:38:43 AM »

Ok, thanks I'll try the BIOS update. Current BIOS is Phoenix Award BIOS v6.0

I've had this machine for a year, but just now I've started doing something to fix it. Call me lazy.

I think the temps on full load are inaccurate... somehow I managed to get even higher temps. I'll provide those temps asap, although it might lead to a crash. I deliberately disabled some cooling and heated the machine. It crashed in temps CPU=55C and System=42C. The system was at this time stable enough NOT to crash suddenly. Did this to figure out the heat the system can take normally.

The sudden crash happened when temps were CPU=43C and system=30.

A friend suspected that it could be insufficien power supply, but disconnecting another harddrive and the RW/DVD combo didn't affect the crashing.

Strength and honor!
KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2004, 06:34:18 PM »

The temps seem a bit low for the system to crash at. I've heard of people getting temps of 65C and higher without crashes. The BIOS update might fix the inaccurate temp reading. I know people on other forums dedicated to overclocking have seen temps drop by 10C after updating their BIOS.

The motherboard may be faulty but try the BIOS update and see what happens first.

Ross

Yurigi

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2004, 11:22:02 AM »

Ok, I'm back. Updating the BIOS worked. No more sudden crashes and heat tolerance is better. Got 58 degrees celsius CPU and 43 case after a test. That is not the full load, but I'm happy at the moment. Thanks a bunch for all of you. Case closed.

Strength and honor!
KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2004, 02:56:13 PM »

Glad to be of some help. But you should thank Jee because he thought of the BIOS update.

Ross

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: