MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Computer will not boot up past power saving mode
September 23, 2019, 12:57:04 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 23, 2019, 12:57:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Computer will not boot up past power saving mode  (Read 2555 times)
ledzep100

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2004, 01:13:37 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP
Problem Application Name & Version: Windows XP
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Hello, My computer will NOT boot up past power saving mode.  As soon
as I turn it on the monitor goes into power saving mode and nothing can be done on the computer.  I changed the monitor to one that I know works but still nothing.  Is this common?  I used to smoke around the computer and I've heard that can damage a computer. Is the motherboard fried? Please help.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 01:47:15 AM »

Could be a variety of things. I smoke as well, but I clean out all of the fans in the PSU and on the CPU and videocard at least once a year, as they get clogged up with extra sticky dust. That could well be your only problem.

But that the monitor goes into standby mode shouldn't necessarily be a monitor problem. You know, the monitor is being fed its signal by a videocard or on-the-motherboard videochip. I that one is gone, your monitor wouldn't show you a single blip.

But let's start at the beginning, when you power up the computer, do all the lights go on on the harddrives, optical drives etc? Do you hear a single beep? Do you hear any beeps coming from your PC? Or any noise?

If no noise can be heard, it might simple be that your PSU is too clogged up with dust & smoke that it can't turn the fan. 2 simple solutions for that: either clean the fans on the PSU (without opening it!!! just dust them out from the outside!!) with a small soft brush, or buy a new PSU.

I am warning about opening up the PSU and go rummaging inside it, for it holds lethal voltages. Touch the wrong thing and someone will be writing your obituary. Even if the PSU has been kept outside the PC for up to a year, the capacitors inside still haven't given off their residual charge. Don't open your PSU unless you know what you are doing. That same warning goes for monitors and TVs. !!!
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 01:48:01 AM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
ledzep100

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2004, 03:23:16 AM »

Thank you so much for replying so quickly!  I will follow up on your advice and dust the outside of the PSU.  What is the PSU? Power source?

When I boot up I hear a beep coming from (I think) the monitor and no noise from the PC but a light does go on on the PC.  It immediately goes to power saving mode with no way of accessing anything.

I'll dust the fan and get back to you.

Thanks for your help!

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2004, 04:00:37 AM »

Sorry, yes with PSU I meant Power Supply Unit.

I do know of some monitors that beep when they go off (like Eizo), but if you hear one beep coming from the PC itself, then that means everything inside the PC is okay.

In that case, check the power supply to the monitor, yet best check the connector of the monitor into the back of the PC. It may have come loose. Make sure it is firmly attached.

Jord.
Wainui

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2004, 12:20:20 AM »

Check your Power Schemes.
In Control Panel double click on the Power Options icon.
Under Power Schemes, if you are using Windows XP Home on a Desktop computer, choose Home/Office Desk by clicking on the blue arrowhead. And click the Save As button.

Under Settings for Home/Office Desk, check the following:
Turn Off Monitor: choose Never.
Turn Off Hard disk: choose Never
System Standby and System Hibernate : choose whatever you want but make it greater than one minute.

ledzep100

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2004, 12:54:08 AM »

Hello Jee,

I confirmed that the computer does not seem to power up at all.  No lights come on and no noise is heard.  When the whole system is turned on the monitor comes on but clicks and then goes to power saving mode.  The computer doesn't do anything.  It sounds like, based on your assesment, the PSU is toast.  The fan doesn't spin either.  I cleaned the fan as best I could but it is inside the PSU and I heeded your advice and did not open it up.  I also lightly cleaned the heat sink fan as best I could.

Were I to buy a new PSU, how do I install it?  I see there is one clot of cords coming from it that 'plug' into the motherboard.  Is that just it? Unplug the old one and plug in the new one?

Thanks for your help!
ledzep100

Weinui,
Thanks for your advice! I'll try it out when its up and running.

Thanks for your help!
ledzep100

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2004, 03:54:27 PM »

I think it's easy, but that's because I have done it multiple times already. If you don't feel you are up to it and don't mind giving out some more money on having it doen, then please do so.

But it's essentially making sure the PSU is unplugged from the wall, unscrew all screws at the back of the case that hold the PSU, unplug all power cables to drives, videocard and motherboard. Removing PSU, putting new PSU in, so all the holes line up with all the screw holes of the old PSU, screw it tight, plug all the molex cables back home where they were coming from, plug in the power cable and plug it into the wall.

Don't try to open the old PSU in any way or touch its insides. As I said, the capacitors inside will hold lethal charges of electricity for well over a year. If you don't trust it, let a PC shop replace the PSU, or someone in your neighborhood who is handy with electrical appliances.

Jord.
ledzep100

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2004, 03:20:51 PM »

Hello Jee,

Thanks for the useful information on how to install a PSU.  I'm shopping for one now.  About $100CDN for one? ~$70US?  300Watt okay?  I don't do any serious power computing if that matters, no games.

Thanks,
ledzep100

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2004, 05:17:38 PM »

Go for a 350 or 400W to be on the safe side. I don't know what the rest of your specs are, but a little bit of videocard, 4 drives and all of the fans take up quite some oomp these days. Gaming or not. Wink

Jord.
ledzep100

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 13, 2004, 12:18:27 AM »

Hello Jee,

I have an Athlon 1700 and 64MB videocard, DVD/CDRW.  I'll compare the 350W to 400W and if it is not too expensive I'll get the 400W PSU.

Thanks,
ledzep100

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: