MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: motherboard = dead -->
September 16, 2019, 09:00:05 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 16, 2019, 09:00:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: motherboard = dead -->  (Read 1103 times)
Philosopher

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 07, 2004, 09:22:51 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: AMD Athlon xp
Problem Application Name & Version: Motherboard
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Standard (proteva model)

My motherboard is toast ;l I got it checked and thats what buddy told me to do.. get a new motherboard... I'm not sure the model i need though... I think i might need a new cooling system too.. (the metal heat absorber with a small fan that sits above the system)

Im running on a  AMD Athlon 2.2 ghz with a radeon pro vid card.. I'm not sure what version number right now.. It's on my computer and i left all my papers at home (just moved to Toronto)...  eh.. i have 528 ram i believe.. well two slots of it... standard mother board... have 2 working usb ports 2 other ones that weren't working.
eh... high speed cable connection... fire wire port.. eh... I can't think of anything else...

I'm probably going to get a buddy of mine to instal it for me but if not any tips or info or help pages would help... and I would like to know what kind of motherboard I should buy... and how much I should likely spend...

Thanks alot for any help!

-Matt

P.S. the initial problem was that the screen went completly black... and nothing would load or show up.. and i smelled a bit of burning fumes comming from my box Shocked
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 09:25:06 PM by Philosopher » Logged

'You!' said the Caterpillar contemptuously. 'Who are YOU?'
an idiot

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2004, 11:46:25 PM »

wait wait.. so you have a brand new set of motherboard and CPU? or do you want to buy a new motherboard because it seems like your old one fry? ...??
« Last Edit: October 07, 2004, 11:47:28 PM by an idiot » Logged

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 08:19:39 PM »

You just want a new motherboard? I would say an nForce chipset based motherboard would do the trick either that or a KT600 chipset based mobo. I would go fo the nForce mobo first though. You can find a decent nForce2 based mobo here for US$115. I'd say this mobo should meet all of your needs. If you need a new Heatsink/Fan you can find that here for US$39. These components should be more than good enough.

The mobo is good for overclocking if you're into that and the HSF will definatly be able to keep the CPU cool if you OC it.

You also mentioned something about tips or info. Did you mean tips or info about installing the mobo?

Hope this helps.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
Philosopher

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2004, 02:48:06 PM »

thanks Katalyst...
sorry for slow reply... its just well... I dont have as much comp access anymore heh...

Well.. I was thinking about installing it myself but I can probably find help for the installation at my school... I think the info on the mobo part will suffice... Thanks alot.

'You!' said the Caterpillar contemptuously. 'Who are YOU?'
KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 09:02:21 PM »

If you want I can supply any information you need. I've been building comps for a few years so I could help you out there. Let me know, I can write a tutorial and post it on the site or I could just run through whatever you want/need to know.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: