MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Windows XP keeps resetting during startup
September 18, 2019, 06:36:41 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2019, 06:36:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows XP keeps resetting during startup  (Read 1916 times)
holysmokes25

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 09, 2004, 12:02:16 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP
Problem Application Name & Version: Not sure
Problem Hardware Make & Model: ASP
Error Messages:

My computer will not boot up. A screen comes up that says Windows XP is resetting. Then it reboots and starts all over again. It's a continuous circle. I tried putting the origional system disk in, but it won't read the disk.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2004, 12:26:39 AM »

Make sure your system BIOS has as primary boot option the optical drive of your choice, be it your CDROM, CDRW, DVDROM or DVDRW drive. Second drive is floppy. Third drive is harddrive.

If you set up your system that way you can easily boot up with the Windows XP CD.

But may I know what you did prior to you getting this error? Does it only say Windows is restting? If so, where? Are you already in Windows by then? Do you see your desktop, then a little box comes on saying you will be shutting down?

Do you have any firewall and antivirus programs on your PC? Are they updated to anything lately like today or yesterday? If not, why not?

Jord.
holysmokes25

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2004, 12:41:46 AM »

The message comes up immediately after the first Windows XP logo comes up, just a few seconds after the boot up begins. The screen shows little periods that start repeating across the screen right behind the message. Then the screen goes blank and the computer starts rebooting again.

I was under the impression that nothing was done to this computer prior this problem, however I've just been told that programs were being deleted in the ADD/REMOVE in the control panel. I'm not sure just what programs though...and neither does the person doing the removals. Great.

I previously checked the Startup BIOS. Drives are set to boot in the correct order. It's kinda strange though because the light on the CD ROM lights up and it attempts to read the Windows XP disk...but there is no indication that anything happens.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2004, 04:28:28 AM »

Okay, make sure all the IDE flatcables are firmly pressed home on the CD & harddrive and on the motherboard. It could be that the drives are having problems with that.

Jord.
holysmokes25

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 10:55:31 PM »

OK, I tried that. Everything appears to be pushed firmly in place. I tried pulling them out and reseating them. No luck.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2004, 11:40:15 AM »

Then by all means, pass on by on http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;Q310994 to get the correct set of boot floppies for your XP version and use them to boot your system with. Make sure you end up in the Recovery Console, there type in the following:

fixmbr {hit Enter} (This rewrites the Master Boot Record, just to be safe)
COPY X:\i386\NTLDR C: {hit Enter}
COPY X:\i386\NTDETECT.COM C: {hit Enter} (Make sure that for these two copy commands the XP CD is in the CD drive and that you substitute X for the correct drive letter.)

Now remove the CD & last of the floppies and try to reboot. Tell me exactly what it does.

Jord.
holysmokes25

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 11:28:55 PM »

Well it seems that my better half decided to take the whole thing in to a computer shop to get it fixed. No patience! I'll let you know what they did to correct it. Thanks for the help anyhow.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2004, 11:58:27 PM »

Split personalities? Wink

It's not a bad option. I just hope for you it doesn't cost you loads of $$ and in 6 months time the problem returns.

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: