MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: computer crashes, even when in BIOS
December 13, 2019, 10:25:38 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 13, 2019, 10:25:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: computer crashes, even when in BIOS  (Read 2611 times)
dszomoru

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 12, 2004, 04:43:00 PM »

My pc keeps freezing up or rebooting at random times. It does this while booting up sometimes, while in windows, and it's even frozen up a couple of times while I was looking in the BIOS for something wrong. This started several months ago, but stopped after a while. When it started doing this again I reformatted the pc and reinstalled windows. But even during the installation it crashed several times. After this it was fine for a while, but now it's crashing almost constantly again. I have no idea what this could be, can anybody help?

Daniel.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2004, 04:48:21 PM »

Oh kijk, een andere Nederlander. Wink But for the board's sake, let's keep it to English.

Can you give me the specifications on the computer? (motherboard, cpu, RAM used, videocard etc.)
Have you checked that it isn't your RAM that's causing these freezes? Memtest86 is a good test for that.

The fact that it freezes even when in the BIOS cancels a lot of things almost immediately. But for RAM, possible the videocard or any other add-on card and the motherboard. So please leave as much details as you can.

Jord.
dszomoru

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2004, 12:15:21 PM »

I ran the memory test and it didn't detect any errors.
About the specs, I got this pc second hand, so I don't know what kind of motherboard it has. The processor is an AMD Athlon, 1GHz. It's got 128MB RAM, but of this I also don't know any more. It's got a nvidia riva TNT2 model 64. The only other cards in this thing are a RealTek RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethernet NIC card and a sound card (ALS4000). That's it. I thought it might be a problem with the power supply, but I put a different one in and it still crashed.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2004, 03:02:17 PM »

If you want to find out what kind of motherboard you have, use CPUZ, unzip it, run it and check the mainboard tab in the program.

Also, what version of Windows are you running on this PC? If it is any form of XP, consider more RAM.

Jord.
dszomoru

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2004, 04:49:39 PM »

The program gives no manufacturer name for the motherboard, the model is 8363A-686A/B. Chipset VIA KT133A. Southbridge VIA VT82C686. Sensor VIA 686A/B.
I am running XP, but it this was a problem of not enough memory, wouldn't this have occured earlier? I used this pc for half a year before it started having any problems.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2004, 04:57:46 PM »

A PC using Windows XP with only 128MB of RAM is using a lot of virtual memory, meaning the page file on the harddrive. If your harddrive is filling in, especially when you have been using it for a long time without intermittent cleaning up etc., then yes, it could slow you down. If you installed SP2 on the machine, this could be even worse by now.

How much harddrive space have you still got left over? And what is the page file set to use? Did you install Windows on it yourself?

Jord.
dszomoru

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2004, 10:03:34 PM »

I did install windows myself, and i do clean up and defrag the disk regularly. There's about 12 gb of free space, and the page file init. size is 192mb and max 384 mb (pf usage is usually around 140mb). But I don't really see how a shortage of memory would cause all these freeze-ups before windows is even loaded

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: