MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Installing a Sound Card Modem
August 19, 2019, 05:01:29 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 19, 2019, 05:01:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Installing a Sound Card Modem  (Read 1506 times)
Mackoo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 13, 2004, 09:06:28 PM »

Ok I want to reinstall the sound card to another location just below where it is now but have a question concerning the slot that will be open and how to open the new slot to do this.  The slot I am talking about is the one I remove the screw from to remove the sound card.  Are these steel slots on the back of the computer tower removable and if so how do I remove it to cover up the slot I will be moving the sound card from.  Thank you Mackoo

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 01:41:12 PM »

The slots are removable but it depends totally on the case you have as to how they are removed. Some cases you just break off the slot covers and you can never put them back on unless you solder them, most cases you can just unscrew the slot cover and the screw it back in. If you're worried about leaving a hole in the back of the computer then you shouldn't, if you leave the hole open it'll help a airflow inside the case a small amount.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
Mackoo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 02:20:29 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by KaTaLy5t

The slots are removable but it depends totally on the case you have as to how they are removed. Some cases you just break off the slot covers and you can never put them back on unless you solder them, most cases you can just unscrew the slot cover and the screw it back in. If you're worried about leaving a hole in the back of the computer then you shouldn't, if you leave the hole open it'll help a airflow inside the case a small amount.

Ross

Hi Ross, you hit the nail on the head that was one of my biggest concerns leaving a hole there and that does make a lot of sense about air flow as it needs all it can get in there.

Also do you have any ideas to why I have lost all my AOL and Windows98SE sounds? I know my speakers work but it sounds like an AM radio where your trying to bring in a distance channel or something.  If I have my speakers on and sign on to AOL I will hear the system go through its noise to get to the AOL welcome screen but once that is done it goes to total mute.  I came across the Line Input For SiS 7018 Audio Driver Properties and the status shows the driver is enabled but inactive due to an unknown problem.  Unknown problem doesn't help me very much so I'm trying to troubleshoot here and there to find the problem.  Any troubleshooting suggestions on this issue would be appreciated.  

Thanks Ross for your time.  

Mackoo

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 07:49:12 PM »

There could be a number of problems that could cause something like that to happen. There could be a conflict in the system where two different programs are trying to use the same driver at the same time, this can cause the computer to get confused and it may just disable the driver, if you have the disk with the driver on it I would try uninstalling the driver and then reinstalling it.
    I would also check on the SiS website and have a look at what it says about your card and if there are any known issues with it and AOL.

Hopefully you can solve the problem but if not post back here and I'll try help you more.

Ross

Mackoo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 07:55:48 PM »

Hi Ross, appreciate the reply.  Let me do a little more investigating and if I get bogged down I'll return.  Again thanks for your time.  

Mackoo  

quote:

There could be a number of problems that could cause something like that to happen. There could be a conflict in the system where two different programs are trying to use the same driver at the same time, this can cause the computer to get confused and it may just disable the driver, if you have the disk with the driver on it I would try uninstalling the driver and then reinstalling it.
    I would also check on the SiS website and have a look at what it says about your card and if there are any known issues with it and AOL.

Hopefully you can solve the problem but if not post back here and I'll try help you more.

Ross

Mackoo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2004, 09:09:33 PM »

Copying Conflict Sharing area and the IRQ area see anything that pops out?

IRQ 5   IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
IRQ 5   SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
IRQ 5   SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
IRQ 11   IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
IRQ 11   IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
IRQ 11   Intel V92 HaM Data Fax Voice
IRQ 11   SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
IRQ 14   Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IRQ 14   SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller
IRQ 15   Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
IRQ 15   SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller
-----------------------------------------------------------------
0   System timer
1   Standard 101/102-Key or Microsoft Natural Keyboard
2   Programmable interrupt controller
3   (free)
4   Communications Port (COM1)
5   IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
5   SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
5   SiS 7001 PCI to USB Open Host Controller
6   Standard Floppy Disk Controller
7   Printer Port (LPT1)
8   System CMOS/real time clock
9   (free)
10   (free)
11   IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
11   IRQ Holder for PCI Steering
11   Intel V92 HaM Data Fax Voice
11   SiS 900 PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
12   PS/2 Compatible Mouse Port
13   Numeric data processor
14   Primary IDE controller (dual fifo)
14   SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller
15   Secondary IDE controller (dual fifo)
15   SiS 5513 Dual PCI IDE Controller

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 04:12:04 PM »

IRQ11 seems to be in use by a few different devices. Maybe you can try re-assigning the IRQs manually.

Ross

Mackoo

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 04:54:54 PM »

quote:

IRQ11 seems to be in use by a few different devices. Maybe you can try re-assigning the IRQs manually.

Ross

I'm not sure where to begin or the steps to make these changes and what each IRQ 11 assignments now have or the effect they produce on my system.

Mackoo???

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 09:57:51 PM »

Every device has an assigned IRQ channel. On most systems all of the channels are taken up by system devices except for 9,10 and 11 which are left free for the use of peripherals. If there is a conflict where a number of peripherals are using the same IRQ channel it can cause problems. If you look at your IRQ channels you can see that there are a few things on IRQ 11. You can try re-assigning these to IRQ 9 and 10 to see if that'll solve the problem. You can do this from BIOS, usually.

Ross

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: