MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: missing dll files in winxp
November 14, 2019, 07:07:19 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 14, 2019, 07:07:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: missing dll files in winxp  (Read 1927 times)
nikkib

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2004, 01:52:37 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: WindowsXP pro - without sp2
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:  I have recently downloaded Norton Security 2005- trial - since then my pc has problems.  When I go to a game site - msn games - the activex refuses to load.  My system prompted me that I was missing DLL files.  Yes I have recently removed Zone Alarm and also removed the lingering files in the registry - with the help of a tech guy at Zone Labs.  My question is...how can I get my DLL files back?  Unfortunately my cd for Winxp has been damaged and I cannot retrieve the tools Sad  Could some of you point me in the right direction pls as to what to do to fix this mess?

Thx

angel115

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 03:12:12 PM »

Wich dll files are you missing?

By Angel115 ;-)
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 03:15:30 PM »

If you haven't yet, you could start with uninstalling Norton and going back to a restore point before you had Norton installed. If you want a package that works effectively as anti-virus and firewall, try any of the free options on this page. Highly effective is an updated AVG together with Sygate's firewall solution.

I'm personally not a good friend of Norton. For a package that breaks so much in your operating system, it's weird that people are still buying it.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 03:16:56 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
nikkib

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 06:33:18 PM »

Thx very much but my problem still persists.  No Activex, I did however find a couple of files that were missing.  

Is sys restore the only option I have?
Thx
nikkib

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 07:06:12 PM »

If I do chose to restore my system would it be best to remove Norton Security first - I had no problems before then - ?
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 09:36:01 PM »

Yes, remove Norton before you go back on the system restore. Or else weird things may... well hear me, WILL happen, like a non-booting system etc. Things we don't want, really.

The problem though with Norton is, if you uninstall it it won't be gone off your system.
Bar a full reformat of the system & a reinstall, which will take a lot of time to fix a minor detail as this, here's what I want you to do:

Uninstall everything from Norton.
Run Hijack This, save the log, then copy its contents and post it here.
I'll help you get rid of the Norton links in the registry.
Then you can first test if it's fixed things already, else you'll go back to before you installed Norton.

How's that sound? Smiley

P.S: for full help how to post a HJT log here, look no further than here in this post.
 But please for the logic of things, post the log in this thread. I'll be moving it to the other forum when we're done. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 09:38:40 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
nikkib

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2004, 12:19:46 PM »

Hi Jee,

I am tempted to do just that, expose my reg keys - one problem though...I'm scared that all my info - personal and all -  will be taken by hackers or malicious people and cause havock in my life, something that I don't need right now.  Is there a way to do this that you only will look at it and help me solve this mess or is there no other way to protect all my info?  I'm a single mother of four...I don't need hackers in my system hijacking my personal info for any purpose, pls.  I do want my sys to be back to what it was but I do not want to compromise my security if it can be avoided.  Thx
nikkib

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2004, 12:30:13 PM »

Hi again,

I noticed some else did this hijack thingy.  To my untrained eye I did not see anything that could be used for nasty purposes.  Is this a fair assumption?  If in deed there is no prob in doing this...then I'll wait for your reassuring reply and begin the process.  Thx
nikkib

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 19, 2004, 12:48:15 PM »

++edited by Jee for privacy purposes++

OK here I go!  sry about my doubts but I'm a bit scared in doing this...ty
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 03:34:28 PM by Ageless » Logged
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2004, 03:37:49 PM »

Hi Nikki,

I edited your post. Took out the HJT log, for as far as my semi-trained eye saw you don't have any weird things, no. Wink

With Norton off your system though, you should be able to use your ActiveX again. If you still cannot, then the system restore point is the next thing to try.

Jord.
nikkib

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 19, 2004, 04:03:18 PM »

Thanx Jee, appreciate your help.  ty for removing my hjt log.  So Norton is indeed off my system?  I have been trying - without sys restore - to play the games so did my teenage daughter but activex doesn't load, it just keeps clicking. Did you notice if I had any DLL files out of whack?
nikkib

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2004, 06:59:48 PM »

Jee my friend for having a "semi-trained" eye you are the man!

I did have to restore my sys, I did it to the day before I installed that Norton security ****.  Activex is great n workin'!  However my old version of Norton AV is still there but cannot load or anything.  I read somewhere that renaming the file will prevent it from loading and causing problem, is this accurate?  In case it is could you instruct me how to do this? Or would you have a better solution?

Thx
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2004, 10:40:31 PM »

Well yes, but I'll email you for that. Or else you'll have to post another HJT log here, and we both know how you feel about that. So check your email.

Jord.
Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2004, 06:51:37 PM »

Since we've managed to get this solved, I'll lock this thread now. You know where to find me, Nikki. Smiley

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: