MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: Windows update - can't download it!
December 13, 2019, 03:43:13 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 13, 2019, 03:43:13 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Windows update - can't download it!  (Read 1068 times)
smudger

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2004, 09:00:19 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:windows xp professional
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I have just installed windows 98, then upgraded to windows xp professional. I have tried to get the updates from the microsoft update site, but it wont let me install them. I have tried to install norton system works and norton firewall but it says, can not continue with the installation. The pc keeps getting a box appear that says the pc will shutdown in (i think) one minute, then shuts down. I also get a small window appear that says it will have to close something, and when i click on that window and send a report to microsoft, i then click on the link it provides to help with this problem. However i am unable read it before the pc shutsdown. Is this something to do with a worm or virus? I ran the norton emergency scan but found nothing. I have tried to run the check for (i think) the sasser worm, from a website but can not get that to run.
I have no idea what the problem is.
Can someone please help me to overcome these problems and get the updates and instal the norton software.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: October 19, 2004, 09:38:10 AM by smudger » Logged

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2004, 07:40:12 PM »

A fresh installation of any Operating System is always suggested. Upgrades can cause problems....with that said....
Use this tool to check your computer for the Blaster Worm
http://securityresponse.symantec.com/avcenter/FixBlast.exe

Use this link and scan your computer for viruses
http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/en/start_corp.asp?id=scan

Have you activated your Windows XP?
After using Housecall try to get your updates by visiting the Windows Update site. If you still cannot d/l them use this link and try from there.
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/downloads/default.mspx

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2004, 02:33:32 AM »

Unfortunately, i am unable to log on to any Symantec websites. I can surf the web ok for most other sites, but for some reason i can not log on to symantec sites. Any idea why this is?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: