MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: XP starts to load, then stop
November 19, 2019, 10:51:20 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 19, 2019, 10:51:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: XP starts to load, then stop  (Read 1122 times)
metal-nick-e

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 18, 2004, 09:19:53 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:XP service pack 2
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

Hi
For some reason when I turned my PC on tonight it started to load XP OK. Then when it came to the Windows XP screen, before it shows the desk top, it freezes on a blank screen. I've gone down the road of 'restart in previous successful xp configeration', and in safe mode, but still same result. I've tried restore from XP CD, but that meant using DOS commands,not too clever on that.
Please help, somebody.
Thanks Nick

When in Rome...
u know the rest.
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 09:44:12 PM »

DOS commands? I wouldn't go so far as tell that the Recovery Console uses DOS commands, but okay. Wink

Ever tried typing Help and hitting Enter in the recovery console?
Never mind... Did this behaviour occur after you installed SP2 yesterday, or was it just out of the blue?
Did you wait for a while to see if it would continue to boot?

If you've ever made an Emergency Repair Disk (ERD), then this may be the time to use it. If you've never done so, then it's time to run a Repair Install of Windows XP. Mind, this won't affect most of your settings, but it will take away your service packs and hotfixes, as it will essentially reinstall the Windows version back as it is on the CD.

So whatever you do, don't put this PC on the internet before you put your service pack back on, or in the least (re)activated the firewall.

Oh, as for the DOS commands, bookmark this site to learn about them. Smiley
« Last Edit: October 18, 2004, 09:46:24 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
metal-nick-e

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 09:54:51 PM »

Hi
 I earlier tried the recovery from XP cd. I entered 'help'. All the options it gave me didn't look quite right.
It was about 2 weeks ago since I installed SP2. I've had a couple of minor probs but nothing to worry about.
The problem happened tonight when I was downloading pics from my camera. It was OK then it played up for some reason. So I re-booted, thats when it all went wrong.

When in Rome...
u know the rest.
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 12:35:58 AM »

Yes, sounds like a sort of corruption. I hope for you it isn't the harddrive itself, though. But try to repair Windows as I linked for you.

If it doesn't work, tell me about the brand of your harddrive and I'll see if the manufacturer has a utility with which you can check drive integrity.

Jord.
metal-nick-e

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2004, 06:41:14 PM »

Hi
The harddrive looks like it is IBM deskstar 61.4 Gb 7200 rpm.
So are you saying I should run FIXBOOT in the recovery console.
Nick

When in Rome...
u know the rest.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: