MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: CD-RW USB Problem
August 19, 2019, 07:06:29 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
August 19, 2019, 07:06:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: CD-RW USB Problem  (Read 1168 times)
padsw1

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 19, 2004, 02:07:57 PM »

Hi, I have a HP 4150 Laptop running Windows 2000. A couple of days ago I logged off as normal and on rebooting next morning it wouldn't recognise the HP CD-ROM (F1474A)that it had been using since I got the machine 3 years ago. It doesn't say there's a problem, it's just as if the CD-ROM never existed! Since then W2000 has become really unstable. I wanted to reload Windows but couldn't because I hadn't a CD drive. I got a USB CD-RW thinking the HP drive might be faulty. The Laptop won't recognise the new USB drive either. I finally got the new drive to show under USB devices in device manager, but it has the dreaded exclamation mark in the yellow circle. I've reloaded the drivers, I've downloaded new ones, I've tried upgrading the firmware - nothing works. I ran Windows Setup from floppys but it wouldn't complete saying that no CD drive could be detected. I've checked the USB drive with my desktop, which also runs W2000,  and it worked immediately. I'm kind of lost now and was wondering if anyone had any ideas. Any thoughts gratefully received. Thanks.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2004, 04:20:54 PM »

Check your BIOS to see if the CD drive is recognised in there. Also if you want to format the hard drive you could try changing the primary boot device in BIOS from FDD to USB and then try the USB CD drive. Worth a try anyway. I'd try the first thing anyway and then come back and let me know.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
padsw1

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 04:41:33 PM »

Hi Ross. Thanks for the reply. I've checked the BIOS by pressing F2 at boot up. Is that what you mean? There is no reference to USB anywhere in there. I've also tried changing the initial boot device to CD and nothing happens, it just gets bypassed and boots from HD. I've also downloaded and installed a BIOS upgrade from HP but it hasn't changed anything. Extremely frustrating.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2004, 09:40:21 PM »

Is the original CD drive recognised in BIOS?

Ross

padsw1

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2004, 10:20:12 AM »

Hi Ross. When I go to the Boot tab in BIOS it displays the following:

+Removable Device
     Floppy Drive
 +Hard Disk
     Internal Hard Disk
  CD-ROM/DVD Drive

That's the only reference to a CD Drive anywhere in BIOS.If I put a CD in the original CD Drive, it makes all the noises of being read etc. then nothing, even if is has an autorun file on it.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2004, 08:15:08 PM »

Ok what you want to do is have a look under the "Standard CMOS Features" tab, this could also be called "Standard CMOS Settings" or something along those lines anyway. There should be settings for Primary IDE Master and Slave and Secondary IDE Master and Slave. Not sure if they'll be exactly like that for a laptop but you should find something like that with details of your hard drive and any other drives that are in the computer. If the CD is listed in here then it's a problem with windows, if it's not listed in here then it's a BIOS or hardware problem.

Ross

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: