MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Security & Viruses arrow Topic: blank desktop after running Ad-aware
December 05, 2019, 11:23:45 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 05, 2019, 11:23:45 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: blank desktop after running Ad-aware  (Read 1331 times)
cmilton5

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2004, 07:33:09 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP Home Version
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:  
Error Messages:

I'm not sure if this is the right forum because I'm not really sure where this problem originated.  This is regarding my daughter's computer.

This morning, I got updates for Ad-aware, and then ran it.  It found quite a few problems, and when my daugher asked it to remove the selected entries, it said that there were some it couldn't remove.  It then asked if she would like it to remove the entries upon the next reboot and she said yes.  Then she rebooted the computer.  

The desktop is completely empty except for the wallpaper she has on it - there is no Start button, no program icons, no system tray and no task bar.  

Is this connected to what happened with Ad-aware (i.e., did we let Ad-aware take off something we shouldn't?)?

Someone told me to start the computer in Safe Mode, which I did, but I didn't know what to do from there.

Also, our computers are networked, and I had a trojan on mine this morning, which AVG removed:  Dialer.11X

Any advice?
My daughter has an autism spectrum disorder and gets very upset when her computer doesn't work properly - I would love to get some help!!!

Thanks!!!

benditup

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 08:16:10 PM »

Well, that's strange

Could you please restart again into safe mode
Open Ad-Aware
Open the Quarintine list, highlight the entry you just removed with Ad-Aware
Click Restore
Close out Ad-Aware

Go To START>>>All Programs>>Accessories>>System Tools
System Restore
Restore your computer to an earlier time, before this happened
The dates selectable will be in bold

Restart back into Normal Mode
Would you please download Hijackthis---Important---Create a permanent folder hijackthis
EG---- Open MyDocuments----Right click an empty spot and select NEW---Folder----Name the new folder HJT
OR create a folder as C:\HJT---this is where you will want to save Hijackthis too, also, backups will be stored there.
download from
HERE or HERE

Do a SCAN----Scan will change to SAVE LOG----copy and paste the WHOLE contents of the log
here... Don't try and fix anything yet----It is all important

cmilton5

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 09:05:46 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by cmilton5

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP Home Version
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:  
Error Messages:

I'm not sure if this is the right forum because I'm not really sure where this problem originated.  This is regarding my daughter's computer.

This morning, I got updates for Ad-aware, and then ran it.  It found quite a few problems, and when my daugher asked it to remove the selected entries, it said that there were some it couldn't remove.  It then asked if she would like it to remove the entries upon the next reboot and she said yes.  Then she rebooted the computer.  

The desktop is completely empty except for the wallpaper she has on it - there is no Start button, no program icons, no system tray and no task bar.  

Is this connected to what happened with Ad-aware (i.e., did we let Ad-aware take off something we shouldn't?)?

Someone told me to start the computer in Safe Mode, which I did, but I didn't know what to do from there.

Also, our computers are networked, and I had a trojan on mine this morning, which AVG removed:  Dialer.11X

Any advice?
My daughter has an autism spectrum disorder and gets very upset when her computer doesn't work properly - I would love to get some help!!!

Thanks!!!

Well thanks for all that, but unfortunately I can't get that far.  When I press F8 to start in safe mode, I get something called Boot Options. I pressed Esc to get out of that, and then all that's left of the desktop (the wallpaper) loads, it goes to a sign-on screen, and when you press that button to sign on, it signs her off.

benditup

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2004, 09:17:39 PM »

At the boot options screen select safe mode by using your keyboards cursor
You may want to log in to the Administators account

cmilton5

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2004, 09:39:56 PM »

Hmmm, seems like this is a big problem.  When I restarted in safe mode again (by repeatedly pressing F8), I got a screen saying Select  First Boot Device, with 4 choices:

Floppy:  1.44 MB 3 1/2
IDE-O:  ST380011A
CD/DVD-0:  HC-DT-ST-GCE-8526B
Network:

I used the arrow keys to go down to Network and hit Enter
It brought up a screen titled Novel NetWare Ready Firmware

The message was Analyzing network medica type, this will take several seconds.  There were digits scrolling at the RPL-ROM-FFC prompt, it was like it was counting off seconds, and they went until about 50, there was a beep, and then a blank dark grey screen.

I had earlier tried to hit Enter at the Floppy, IDE-O and CD/DVD-0 options, and it would go to the wallpaper desktop and stay there.

sorry to be such a pain, nothing seems to be working...

benditup

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2004, 10:28:47 PM »

Are there any other users on this machine that you can boot to
What version of Ad-aware are you using?

Do you have the Windows XP CD?
http://www.lavasofthelp.com/articles/v6/04/06/0901.html

cmilton5

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2004, 10:39:45 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by benditup

Are there any other users on this machine that you can boot to
What version of Ad-aware are you using?

Do you have the Windows XP CD?
http://www.lavasofthelp.com/articles/v6/04/06/0901.html

I have administrative rights to the machine, but have never used them. I've never seen an administrator's logon screen, and can't seem to find anything on my own computer.

I'm pretty sure she's using Ad-aware 6.0 (but can't get on to make sure).  And no, I don't have XP disks.

The news just gets better and better...

benditup

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2004, 12:26:59 AM »

Try and follow the directions at Lavasoft if you can

cmilton5

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2004, 12:33:30 AM »

quote:
Originally posted by benditup