MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Radeon 9200 PCI Graphics Card Install Problem
November 22, 2019, 08:05:37 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 22, 2019, 08:05:37 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Radeon 9200 PCI Graphics Card Install Problem  (Read 2194 times)
Daniel Buechler

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 24, 2004, 09:14:10 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows ME 4.90.3
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: ATI Radeon 9200 128MB PCI Graphics Card
Error Messages: None

I'm running Windows ME on an IBM Netvista 2276-80U (or 30U), Intel Celeron 660MHz, 318MB, DirectX 9.0b with an Intel 810E chipset and Intel 82810 on-board Graphics Controller.

Im trying to install an ATI Radeon 9200, 128MB PCI graphics card and all seemed to install fine (I received a DOS like verify that "Windows has successfully initialized this display adapter").  It also said that "to use this adapter as part of your Windows desktop, open the display option in the Control Panel and adjust the setting on the settings tab".

I tried to do this but it seemed like I was setting up a 2nd monitor when I just want to switch the monitor to plug into the new graphics card.  When I do that.. it comes up with my background picture but no Windows login screen or desktop.

Any ideas??

I also tried to leave the cable to my old connector and then try to use the games and switch to the new graphics card but when I try to launch the game (Grand Theft Auto Vice City) it now churns for a few seconds and then gives a dull beep and freezed up my computer.

I had to disable the graphics card to get the game to work again.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2004, 10:26:35 PM »

You did plug in the monitor on the right monitor outlet on the videocard? If there's two, you need the most right of them if you're looking at the back of the PC.

Also, disable any onboard videochip you have through the BIOS. Make sure that the BIOS bootup option, if you have it, says PCI/AGP instead of AGP/PCI.

And I hope you installed the latest drivers for this videocard?
That would be these.

Jord.
Daniel Buechler

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2004, 10:43:19 PM »

Thanks for the reply.  I do have the right connector so that should be ok.

Under system properties, I unchecked "exist in all hardware profiles" check box but there was no option there to disable.  I'm not familiar enough with the boot up suggestion you made.

I loaded the driver that came with the card (I'm now trying to think back if it truly did load the driver) but when attempting to load the latest drive from the site (same one you mentioned) I received an error about the file name "is not a valid Win32 application".

I'll try to see if I can get the driver to load (but I would think that I wouldn't get the "initialized correctly" if the driver wasn't loaded but I may be wrong.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2004, 01:32:50 AM »

Can you then please give me your system specs? Motherboard brand & model would be nice to know. Smiley

Jord.
Daniel Buechler

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2004, 02:36:49 AM »

I'm not sure of that and will have to do some investigation.  I was not able to look up the standard motherboard for the IBM Netvista 2276-80U (or 20U) since I didn't change the motherboard that came with the comp.  I'll try to dig into that tomorrow.  Thanks for the help.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2004, 02:58:14 AM »

If you're unable to find it, use this tool to find out. It can find about 95% of the motherboards out there.

Jord.
Daniel Buechler

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 26, 2004, 03:43:56 AM »

Thanks.  That worked well.
Motherboard:  
  Intel: Whitney 1.0

IBM BIOS 460024i 1.04 (9/14/00)

Does that help?

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 06:44:17 PM »

I'll help you quickly, before I dive back into bed.

You have disabled your onboard videochip through the BIOS?
You have uninstalled your onboard videochip prior to installing the Ati videocard?
Have you tried some newer Ati drivers, from http://mirror.ati.com/support/driver.html ?
Last, have you got DirectX 9.0 installed?

Sorry it took a while before I answered, it may take some more time to answer again as I am not quite healthy. Wink

Jord.
Daniel Buechler

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 28, 2004, 05:20:59 AM »

No problem on the reply time.. I wouldn't be able to get back into this until the weekend anyway.. no time to tear open the comp and play around during the week.

On your questions:
I did disable the videochip (through the device manager) - not familiar enough with BIOS if it's something separate.

I did not uninstall the videochip though and not sure how I would go about that since it's part of the motherboard.  Also concerned if there was a problem with the new card that uninstalling the old one would cause me troubles getting back into the system?

I've tried the new drivers and I do have DirectX 9.0 installed.

I haven't been able to do much more digging on my end but I'll try to see what sort of information I can get on the IBM support side regarding compatibility (but the comp is too old for free support so I'll have to try to dig into the FAQ info on the site)

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2004, 06:21:11 PM »

No, no, you need to disable the videochip through the BIOS first. If at all possible on the i810 chipset. It's very possible you need to set a jumper on the motherboard to do that.

Then uninstall the videochip drivers in Windows, before you install the At drivers & DirectX (again).

I'll dig around on your IBM PC as well.

Jord.
Daniel Buechler

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2004, 06:49:30 PM »

Ah, ok.

So the BIOS is entered during boot up? "F2" type thing before Windows loads?

I did not do that.

I haven't had much luck on help with my PC.
Now that I have the motherboard specs, I might be able to lookup details on disabling the chip.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2004, 06:57:00 PM »

There's not much to go on on looking up the Intel Whitney 1.0 ... I know, I looked. Sad

But yes, however you enter the BIOS (Delete, F1, F2, F10, alt+F10 etc), just take a look around in it.

Jord.
Daniel Buechler

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2004, 04:27:41 AM »

I think I found some info. on the Intel 810E..
http://www.ges.co.in/faq2.htm
>> Under integrated video section.  It seems like the BIOS update should work so I'll give that a try tomorrow night and see if it will work.

Daniel Buechler

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 06, 2004, 11:26:59 PM »

Well, I finally feel a little better and I was able to get into the BIOS and it actually made it very simple.  It said "On-board VGA" or "Add-on VGA" - so I changed it to the latter, changed the connection to the Radeon card and bam- it worked!

Thanks for all your help.. the new card work great!

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2004, 12:13:29 AM »

Congrats. Smiley

Something for me to remember for the next person with an intel 810 chipset. Smiley
I'll lock this thread now, if you want it re-opened in the future for more questions or other problems, just PM me.

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: