MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: No Sound
November 15, 2019, 05:50:38 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 15, 2019, 05:50:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: No Sound  (Read 1533 times)
jjong

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 25, 2004, 12:10:35 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP
Problem Application Name & Version: no system sounds, apps such as media player, real player, etc, don't reoognize content in drives
Problem Hardware Make & Model:  Velocd burner, Dynex dvd burner
Error Messages: none

No Sounds After Getting Desktop OEM

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2004, 03:04:00 AM »

You installed new drivers and then the problems started, or did you install the new drivers and then the memory problems started that you got help with from Creative?

I am a tad confused.

Jord.
jjong

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2004, 10:35:38 AM »

Hello Jee.  Installed new drivers say, a week ago, memory problems occured, possibly due to new dvd drive/software (?), I called Compaq, and then things really got bad as I experienced the new no sound issues.

jjong

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2004, 12:57:01 PM »

Does that help?
Thank you.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2004, 06:25:46 PM »

Excuse me for not answering, but I've been incapacitated in bed for the past few days. Now I finally lost my voice and fever I am typing here a bit again. If you've seen my voice, send it back, will you? Wink

Try uninstalling all your audio drivers, then powering down the computer, taking the Audigy out of its PCI slot, plugging it back in, then booting up and installing the drivers again. This should make sure the PC recognises the card as new.

If you have another PCI slot free, thry moving the card to that slot instead.

Jord.
jjong

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 11:49:35 AM »

Jee, thank you so much for helping.  I did switch slots, no change.  I was trying to check my BIOS settings, but when in what I think is my BIOS (pressed delete upon reboot),  and on the screen with a few options at the top; I didn't see much that jumped out and said "disable onboard sound" but under Advanced saw:

Advanced -->
PCI Devices -->
[Onboard] VGA Controller      IRQ3
[Onboard] USB Controller      IRQ11
[Onboard] SM Bus Controller           IRQ5
[Onboard] Audio Controller      IRQ5
[Slot1] ATM             IRQ3
[Slot2]16450 Modem              IRQ11

I was sick for a while too-thanks for trying to help.

jjong

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2004, 12:14:43 PM »

If you're worried about two or morew things using the same interrupt (IRQ), then don't worry much about it. Windows XP ought to be able to handle that. Interrupt sharing, it's called. With only 16 real IRQs in any PC, of which about 4 are free, there's bound to be some sharing if you add enough hardware. Don't let XP fool you on this though, IRQs 17 to 23 (or whatever) are just shared from IRQ9.

Anyway, the Soundblaster (emulator) part should live on IRQ5 (which it does, the Audio controller), I think you'll find in Windows that the rest of it lives on IRQ9. Nothing you can change there either, unless you want to reinstall XP without ACPI (not recommended).

With that whole bedside story out of the way, is there any chance you can test your audiocard in another PC, just to check it is still in working order? Or test another audio card in your PC?

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: