MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: D-link wireless actin' a fool
October 15, 2019, 01:45:14 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 15, 2019, 01:45:14 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: D-link wireless actin' a fool  (Read 1297 times)
Dorktron9000

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 26, 2004, 01:38:16 AM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP Home
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: D-Link DI-524 Wireless router/ Wireless PCI Adaptor (unsure of specific model)
Error Messages: Signal Strength low to very low

I'm having a problem with my wireless network, and I figured I'd come here instead of calling tech support and getting the usual run around.

The problem is this. My D-Link wirelss router is situated to the right of my monitor. To the left of my desk is the door. The computer connecting to the router is about 20 feet down the hall outside of this door. The computer that is wirelessly connected was previously in the room that is adjacent to mine, so it was going through one wall and was only about 5 feet away. When it was there, the connection seemed slower than it should be but was still very usuable. Since the computer has been moved down the hall, the signal strength never registers above low. When it is low, the connection is on par with dial-up. When it drops to very low, which is frequent, the connection is non-existant.

The odd thing is, it drops to very low every time I'm online with my computer. It makes it so only one person can use the network at a time. That defeats the purpose of having a network. I can't figure out why my usage would diminish network access to that degree.

I feel like the computer is a very reasonable distance away from the router, and the fact that my being online kills the wireless connection doesn't make sense to me. Is it a simple matter of signal strength or is something not configured correctly?

I aplogize for the overly long description, but I wanted to give the best info possible. I'd really appreciate it if anyone more with more knowledge than myself could lend any kind of a hand.

Thanks in advance.

« Last Edit: October 26, 2004, 01:42:21 AM by Dorktron9000 » Logged

shplad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 09:27:17 PM »

Dorktron:  (I just love that name)

Wireless networks of the type you're describing typically rely on radio signals in order to create links. Now, since radio waves cannot go through anything, one must be careful to make sure that there are as few obstacles as possible for the radio waves between the client machine down the hall and your wireless router...I make my living partly from installing wireless networks, and 9 times out of 10, I can improve the signal just by "moving things around".

Here are a few things to check:

1. Is your wireless router set to its highest power setting?

2. Are there external antennas on your router? Have you experimented with moving them around for best results?

3. Does the network adapter on the client machine down the hall have any antenna? Have you experimented with moving it around for best results?

4. Is the router close to the door?

5. Is it high up in the room? Sometimes even just a few inches more
elevation can make a huge difference.

6. Are there any fluorescent lights, refrigerators, air conditioners or other devices with compressors or heavy motors which might cause interference nearby or in either room? Try disconnecting those devices and see what happens.

7. Is the client machine down the hall elevated? If it's on the floor, even a stack of paper can block a huge portion of the radio signal, preventing you from getting a good signal from the router.

8. Of what material are the walls made? Thicker/denser materials can really block a radio signal well.

9. Are you using a coredless phone/microwave or any other type of device that creates RMI/EFI electrical interference?

To use an old expression, "line of sight" is a good starting point for and ideal path between any two radio transmitters, and wireless networkinging equipment is no exception.

You might even try moving the router a few feet into the hall to see whether it is material in the doors/walls etc. that is blocking good radio propagation. If that is the case, it will save you a lot of time in that you'll only have so many options before you.

That should get you started. Let us know how things turn out.

Shplad

quote:
Originally posted by Dorktron9000

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP Home
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: D-Link DI-524 Wireless router/ Wireless PCI Adaptor (unsure of specific model)
Error Messages: Signal Strength low to very low

I'm having a problem with my wireless network, and I figured I'd come here instead of calling tech support and getting the usual run around.

The problem is this. My D-Link wirelss router is situated to the right of my monitor. To the left of my desk is the door. The computer connecting to the router is about 20 feet down the hall outside of this door. The computer that is wirelessly connected was previously in the room that is adjacent to mine, so it was going through one wall and was only about 5 feet away. When it was there, the connection seemed slower than it should be but was still very usuable. Since the computer has been moved down the hall, the signal strength never registers above low. When it is low, the connection is on par with dial-up. When it drops to very low, which is frequent, the connection is non-existant.

The odd thing is, it drops to very low every time I'm online with my computer. It makes it so only one person can use the network at a time. That defeats the purpose of having a network. I can't figure out why my usage would diminish network access to that degree.

I feel like the computer is a very reasonable distance away from the router, and the fact that my being online kills the wireless connection doesn't make sense to me. Is it a simple matter of signal strength or is something not configured correctly?

I aplogize for the overly long description, but I wanted to give the best info possible. I'd really appreciate it if anyone more with more knowledge than myself could lend any kind of a hand.

Thanks in advance.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: