MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Overclocking, Cooling & Modding Problems arrow Topic: Is it safe to reseat my heatsink? (cpu overheats)
June 27, 2019, 02:37:21 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2019, 02:37:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Article Writers We are looking for quality, informational articles to add to our Computer Articles
Please contact us if you are interested in submitting some....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Is it safe to reseat my heatsink? (cpu overheats)  (Read 1981 times)
ryanpeterson

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: October 29, 2004, 07:03:17 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:   Win XP Home
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

I have a computer I built myself.  Made with A7N8X mobo, 2800 athlon cpu, thermalright-xxx (was a nice one) heatsink, 80mm fan, arctic silver paste.

I originally overclocked my processor and all was well for my gaming needs.  Now, the asus monitor regularily beeps at me as cpu overheats at 163 degrees F.  It only overheats when the processor is cranking at 90% for around 20 mins...  Normal temp is around 132 degrees F.

So I put my processor back to default settings(no overclocking), and I still have the same problem.

After reading some of the posts on this forum, I think I spread the arctic silver incorrectly.  I put a thin layer of the stuff on the procesor and spread it evenly.  I don't remember if I spread any on the heatsink, but I think not.

Is it safe to take off my heatsink, wipe off the paste with a paper towel or toiletpaper?  Perhaps reapply it and then wipe it off the best I can with a credit card?  What can I do to fix this heating problem?

It was also REEEEAALY hard to put my heatsink on!  I had to use a screwdriver and press down very hard to get it to latch.  Is there a trick to getting it off?  I don't know if it's even possible considering how difficult it was to install.  I don't remember the model # of the heatsink.  It is large and rectangular in shape, and copper like a penny.  Quite heavy, and is supposed to be really good.

It will be a lot of work to take my entire computer apart just to redo the heatsink and paste, but it would be worth it if it will solve my heating problems.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

ryanpeterson

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2004, 04:27:26 PM »

Here's an update.  I took off the side panel to my PC.  The heatsink is extremely hot to the touch.  I can only touch the heatsink for a couple seconds.  This lets me know that it is conducting heat.  Could the problem be my 80mm fan?  Or should the heatsink be working better than it is?

The cpu has not overheated with the panel off.  It stays around 158-160 degrees F when playing instensive games.

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 02:34:27 PM »

Sorry it took so long for you to get a reply but I've been busy and haven't had a chance to visit the site.

The temperature is definatly too high and as a rule of thumb if your heatsink is too hot to touch then there is a problem.

I would say that it is worth it to take apart the PC to take a look at the heatsink. It may not be seated properly so I would check that first. I'll tell you now that I had trouble getting my heatsink on but it wasn't hard to take it off again. usually you can use a small screwdriver to pry the clip loose from the CPU socket. Be careful not to slip and damage the mobo or CPU socket though.

I would remove the thermal compound and then re-apply it. I can give instructions on how to do this properly if you want.

Hope this helps.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: