MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: bios upgrade
June 27, 2019, 03:41:44 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 27, 2019, 03:41:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: bios upgrade  (Read 1949 times)
buyer4fl

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 02, 2004, 05:56:36 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:XP Pro
Problem Application Name & Version:Bios upgrade?
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Bios=Compaq 686T3
Error Messages:none

8)I would like to know if I can upgrade my current bios system. I have the problem where my system will not recognize the new hard drive. I have installed a Western Digital 120g IDE drive and set jumpers for slave but my system will not recognize it. I currently have a 9g SCSI drive. It will not recognize both.  Any suggestions?

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2004, 01:14:17 AM »

I'll make a search for your computer tomorrow, but in the mean time consider buying a seperate IDE controller card, that will take presedence over your mobo's BIOS. Something like a Promise Ultra133 TX2.

Jord.
buyer4fl

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2004, 05:31:47 PM »

would I set my jumpers on the IDE drive to master if I get the IDE controller card?

Thanks for the great suggestion.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2004, 06:06:12 PM »

Yes, it would still be needed to jumper the drive as in normal IDE cases, aka master/slave. Direct link to Promise, in case you want to snoop around. Wink

I'm still checking on your system, not much I can find but for that it's a tad old. So the Promise looks promising (excuse for the pun). Grin

Jord.
buyer4fl

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2004, 04:15:33 PM »

Thank you for all your great advice. I think I will try and find the IDE controller card.

buyer4fl

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 02:49:58 PM »

I bought and installed the Ultra ATA 133 PCI card. My computer now sees the new harddrive but will not let me set it up. I get the message when starting up to press F3 to configure. I press F3 and then the get the message to choose " assign First HDD set. I pick that and it just keeps looping. I also tried booting off the cd that came with my Western digital drive. It starts to set up and then I get the message that an error has accuured and stops.

Any suggestions?  Thank you!

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 15, 2004, 04:58:24 PM »

It almost sounds as if you bought yourself a RAID controller card. "First HDD set" means it's looking for two harddrives to set up. Which controller card did you buy and what does its manual have to ay on this?

Jord.
buyer4fl

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2004, 05:12:48 PM »

I am sorry but I am not smart enough to know what a Raid controller card is. I have a Siig Ultra ATA 133PCI card that is suppose to handle multiple IDE drives.  I was originally having the problem of my system not seeing the other drive at all. The manual does not address this issue so maybe I have the wrong card. I know the card is installed ok because the I checked the device manager and it said device is working properly.  

Can you tell me if I bought the incorrect type of controller?

Thanks!

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2004, 08:07:10 PM »

I can't tell you that, for if you look here, you have the 'normal' Ultra ATA133 card, yet it looks exactly the same as this one, which is the Ultra ATA133 RAID card. RAID means you are making an array of harddrives being seen as one harddrive to the OS (quick and fair explanation). Check if you have installed the correct drivers for it.

« Last Edit: November 15, 2004, 08:07:58 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
buyer4fl

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 15, 2004, 08:35:46 PM »

I have the "normal" one and I have the correct drivers installed. My device manager has confirmed that the "device is working properly". Maybe I have the jumpers set in the incorrect configuration.

I appreciate all your help--I will keep trying.

buyer4fl

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2004, 05:44:17 PM »

I just wanted to let you know that I got the hard drive to work with the IDE contoller card. I had to get the right jumper configuration to go with the card.

Thank you for all the good advice.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: