MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Blue screen after new CPU/motherboard
December 15, 2019, 02:03:32 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 15, 2019, 02:03:32 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Blue screen after new CPU/motherboard  (Read 1591 times)
catchpm

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 05, 2004, 07:42:16 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Windows XP Pro
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Either the new AMD XP3200 or ABIT NF7 V2.0
Error Messages:STOP: 0x0000007B(0xF7C46640,0xC0000034,0x00000000,0x00000000)

Hi there

I'd really appreciate any suggestions on the following problem I'm having. Wasn't sure of the best forum to put this in as it's a software problem, caused by hardware issues (IMO)

I'll give as much info as I can!

I was running my own home built system on an ABIT KG7-RAID motherboard and XP2000 processor with 2 x 512MB DDR RAM PC2100.

I got a great deal on an ABIT NF7 V2.0 and Athlon XP3200 so decided to just upgrade them into my existing system. I used a Coolermaster Vortex dream 7 h/s & fan.

I'm fairly experienced in building up a PC from the ground, so I just put it all together as usual, and put it into my case and plugged it all in.

Upon bootup, I got a message about RAM frequency being DDR266 and a CMOS checksum error. I rebooted, going into the ABIT soft menu to check everything, and saw it wasn't recognising my CPU's correct speed. I set it to 200mhz and multiplier of 11 (which I believe is correct for an XP3200).

Upon saving and rebooting, I got the same message about the memory and then the POST finished and it appeared as though it would boot normally. However I got a windows did not start successfully message, giving me the option to start in safe or normal. Whichever I chose, it resulted in a blue screen STOP error with the codes 0x0000007B (0xF7C46640, 0xC0000034 and a couple of other that were all zeros)

I asked around and people suggested that because my CPU is a 400mhz, and my RAM is 266DDR, that there might be a problem. So I bought some PC3200 (400DDR) and tried again. Only difference now is that during the POST, I get a message about the RAM saying 400DDR. I still get the same STOP blue screen.

Anyone got any ideas at all where I've gone wrong?! I know there is no problem on the HDD, because I've plugged my old motherboard back in and I'm using the PC right now. I'm pretty sure that the memory isn't faulty, nor the CPU because surely I'd get some kind of error during POST? Sounds almost like a conflict somewhere, but I just don't see it.

The ABIT website tells me that the NF7 V2.0 (and I ordered the V2.0) is 400mhz FSB compatible, so should be no issue with the 400mhz XP3200. I'm at a loss!

If anyone needs any settings posted (I took snaps from my BIOS softmenu so I can check back) let me know.

Thanks in advance - I'll be really grateful for any suggestions!

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 05, 2004, 08:56:20 PM »

I take it you changed your motherboard, plus CPU plus RAM, but at least now have problems getting into Windows XP? That's because you changed a lot of hardware, XP can't cope with that, as it is trying to load the drivers for your old motherboard.

A way around this is to plug the drives back on the old motherboard, load up Windows and in the Device Manager set the Primary & Secondary IDE controllers to load Standard drivers (i.e. NOT the drivers from your motherboard chipset!!). Then change the drives over to the new system.

Or you should now reinstall Windows.

Jord.
catchpm

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2004, 09:23:17 PM »

Hi there

Thanks a lot for your reply. I guess because I've done this before (changed CPU, motherboard and RAM and stuck it into an existing system) and it worked fine, I guessed it would do the same again.

How do I set it to load standard drivers? I can't see an option for that in the device manager for the IDE controllers?

Alternatively, would it be a bad idea for me to load the software for my new motherboard NOW, then turn the PC off, put the new motherboard and CPU in and then turn it back on?

I'd really rather not reinstall windows

Thanks again

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2004, 12:43:09 AM »

Before you swap out the current motherboard go to device manager and select the IDE ATA/ATAPI Controller and select your current storage controller.  Right click, select update driver and select install from a list or specific location.  Click don't search I will choose the driver to install and select the standard dual channel IDE controller.

Source.

You wouldn't be able to install the new motherboard drivers on the current setup, since it would give errors straight away.
« Last Edit: November 06, 2004, 12:44:23 AM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
catchpm

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2004, 06:28:42 PM »

Hi again

Thanks for the reply. I'll try doing that and let you know how I get on. Before I do it though, could you tell me what would happen if it didn't work still and I put my old motherboard back in (now without drivers because I'd have changed them to standard ones). Would that not boot either? I'd be left with no PC if that happened, so I wanted to be sure first.

Thanks again
Michael

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2004, 06:40:18 PM »

In that case, your course of action would be to do a Repair installation of Windows. This will only repair Windows, it will not change any settings, lose you your files etc. All you do after that is reinstall motherboard chipset drivers and the Windows Service Pack.

Jord.
youngorn

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2004, 03:49:29 AM »

I have this problem too and i changed the ide drivers to standard but when i boot up the new mobo the windows start up screen starts to fade in and the computer reboots.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: