MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Unusually slow loading
September 18, 2019, 02:17:58 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 18, 2019, 02:17:58 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Unusually slow loading  (Read 4620 times)
swalbroehl

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 07, 2004, 10:54:28 PM »

Operating System Version: XP Sp2
Problem Application Name & Version: ?
Problem Hardware Make & Model: ?
Error Messages: ?

This problem is REALLY frustrating me. One day I turned on my computer, and it gets to the Windows XP Load screen, and after it loads, the screen turns blank for about 3-4 minutes. Finally after the wait, the log-in shows up, and the desktop opens and gets stuck once again for 3-4 minutes. Then finally, explorer loads, but everything runs very slowly until a little while later when it starts working at normal speed. I tried a Virus scan with norton, and nothing is wrong. So I then repaired windows. Same problem. So I then got another harddrive, reformated it, installed windows on it fresh (which took longer than usual) and the same problem AGAIN! I dont know what to do. please help.

Zedd

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2004, 12:56:29 AM »

When you say you got another hard drive and formatted it, you mean you took a hard drive you have used before, formatted it, then insalled windows on it? Or did you buy a hard drive and format it just for fun? If you reinstalled WIndows then it's not a Windows problem. A computer going slowly like you describe is usually a memory problem, or sometimes a CPU problem, assuming the computer isn't loaded with ****ware, which yours couldn't be since you reinstalled Windows.

I'd take the memory out, make sure it's not covered in dust, then try with only one stick if you have two. See if the problem continues. Also how much memory do you have. What speed? And what processor do you have?

Zedd
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My Rig:

-AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 Processor - Not Overclocked
-Asus SK8V Motherboard Skt 940
-2 GB Corsair Registered TWINX1024-3200 XMS3200
-120 GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus
-80 GB Storage drive
-73 GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA
Hard Drive
-256 MB ATI Radeon 9800 PRO Video Card
-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card
-Creative Labs SBS 4.1 Speaker System
-Pioneer DVR-A07 DVD-R/W +R/W
-Samsung SW-252FENB/SW-252SENB
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2004, 03:01:47 AM »

Unusually slow booting is usually due to the (lack of, or corruption of) drivers. Yet because you also noticed that the installation of Windows was already slow, I would look into a possible IDE cable breach (replace your IDE flatcables) or a malfunctioning IDE controller/connection.

You can check your PC using PC Wizard, see if it finds something out of the ordinary.

I don't say Zedd is wrong about his suggestions, it's something else to check.

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: