MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Accessing/Converting RAW File System
December 08, 2019, 09:32:10 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 08, 2019, 09:32:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Accessing/Converting RAW File System  (Read 4585 times)
Tiblias

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 09, 2004, 10:13:04 PM »

Operating System Version: WinXP Pro Build 2600
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Western Digital 160GB
Error Messages: "The drive is not formatted, format now?" NO!!!!
 To start off, I just reloaded windows xp in order to format my primary hard drive "C", which is a Western Digital 60GB. I wanted to save the data on my 160GB hard drive (Slave) so I unplugged it from my computer and removed it completely. After reinstalling Windows XP and everything was set to go, I naturally thought that after plugging back in my Secondary (Slave) hard drive, it would detect it and everything would be back to normal. My jumpers are set correctly to master and slave, they're in the correct connections, everything is back to the way it was. HOWEVER, My slave drive now reads under BIOS, Disk Manager, but now states under "My computer/Local Disk (F:)" and then "Properties" of the local disk "f", says the file system is "RAW"... Chkdsk says the parameters of f:/ aren't set, and won't scan the slave drive. Convert.exe states that "RAW formats are not supported"... I'm down to my knees here. I don't want to format this drive, as I have non-replaceable data on it. I've heard of "partition magic" and other tools like that, but don't know exactly what they can do for me... my main idea is trying to convert the RAW local disk to NTFS format... don't know how to do this tho or what programs to use... My question is: What programs are recommended and work for converting my RAW drive to NTFS format? My overall question is HOW CAN I ACCESS MY RAW FILE TABLE!!!???

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 02:32:43 PM »

Hi Tiblias
Try connecting your 160GB hard drive as the master on the Secondary controller, no slave... and keep your 60GB as master on the Primary controller, no slave .
Try to access your info....

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 10:41:34 PM »

Yea, Tried that... nothin... I don't think it has anything to do with the physical placement of the drives... just the way the software is interacting with it... thanks tho...

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 08:54:22 AM »

Why did you take out the slave drive in the first place? If you're reformatting and reinstalling Windows, all it takes is some secure reading that you're on the C: drive/partition and nothing will go wrong.

Does the other drive contain any operating system? What is on the other harddrive?

Jord.
Tiblias

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2004, 04:03:15 AM »

I took the slave drive out (160gb)... Then reinstalled/reformatted drive C: (master 60gb)... after windows was reinstalled on drive c: I reconnected the slave drive with all my files such as pictures, worddocs, music, videos, etc... most of which are not replacable... This new drive comes up as RAW and i can't access it without reformatting, thus erasing all the files. No OS is on this secondary drive, just files

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 15, 2004, 12:55:33 PM »

Okay, a couple of things to try. First off, did you install Serive Pack 1 or Service Pack 2 for XP? SP1 contained a fix so Windows could see harddrives larger than 137GB, which may account for your problem.

The other thing you can do is check http://support.wdc.com/download/#diagutils for the Data Lifeguard support. You'd probably need the DOS verion, it will run from a floppy.

Jord.
barbarosa

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2004, 09:49:37 PM »

not good news, try looking at the drive using backup facility in xp, if u can see all your files read on. If the security protocols were switched on the disk u cant read, when u change the computer name after the installation UNLUCKY. I lost a 120GB disk the same way.
ANSWER Create space, backup the stuff u want to another hard disk ie one u can access.
IMPORTANT READ when using backup goto to the advanced tab and deselect 'the restore security settings' because if u dont u will lose the disk u copy the backup to, double jeopardy lost 40GB partition of an 80GB disk in addition to the 120GB..B@st@~D  couldn't believe it.

I tried backing up the system volume to retrieve the name of the prevoius computer profile but NTFS is specifically designed to prevent this, ie back up the stuff u want to another disk without the security option turned on then reformat the oringinal disk and u will get back your hard disk

Angry
instead of looking like this
Cheesy
hopefully u should now look like this

StevieG

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2004, 05:46:10 AM »

Hi i had a problem with my spare SATA 160Gb hard drive when the file system some how changed from NTFS to RAW format i think it was after I reinstalled the operating system, My Computer is running Windows XP Pro Version 2002 Service Pack 2 with AMD Athlon XP 2000+ processor with 512Mb RAM, I was unable to access it to get my files back it kept saying (Parameter incorect) i tried some programs like PartitionMagic 8.0 that didnt display the files and kept saying (ERROR #1527 Bad update sequence number) etc.. but had no luck until I found this program called (File Scavenger 2.1) ihave and used the (Full PRO Version) not Trial Version the file its self is only 681Kb and they do a floppy virsion that is 490Kb with this i was able to recover ALL THE FILES on the unaccessable hard disk drive with RAW file system with there original names and format, it seems to supports and finds all the file formats in its searches rar,zip,iso,dll,exe etc... basicly it will find and recover every file on the hard drive.
I could'nt belive it when i found this program i thought i had lost all my important unreplacable files until then, my Stress level disapeared the computer did not get smashed up and it stayed in one peace EXCELENT!!!.

If you cant get or find this software please email me and i will send you a copy of what i used (File Scavenger Pro 2.1)

Steve.

<<[StevieG]>>
NoopyNoob

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2004, 05:28:21 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by StevieG

..used the (Full PRO Version) not Trial Version the file its self is only 681Kb and they do a floppy virsion that is 490Kb with this i was able to recover ALL THE FILES on the unaccessable hard disk drive with RAW file system with there original names and format, it seems to supports and finds all the file formats in its searches rar,zip,iso,dll,exe etc... basicly it will find and recover every file on the hard drive.
Steve.

Hi.
I'm having the same problem. Is File Scavenger able to return the recovered files to the original drive? I have a 160Gb slave drive that has changed from NTFS to RAW and there are some 155Gb of files on it. I'm trying to recover them with GetDataBack for NTFS 2.31 and it's only able to recover the files to another drive, which in this case is my primary 40Gb. So I probably have to make some choices because it seems I can't recover all the files.
Ilkka

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: