MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Processor Fan not working
April 04, 2020, 11:45:19 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 04, 2020, 11:45:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  New Poll on our main page!
"My experience with Vista..."
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Processor Fan not working  (Read 3437 times)
Orlando

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 10, 2004, 04:20:02 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version: Win98

I have a problem with what appeared to be a failed CPU fan on my Dad's PC.  The fan was replaced but it still does not work; it doesn't spin and the motherboard's temp monitoring utility shows the processor overheating.  So I guess it's not the fan.  I think it's the motherboard - Asus A7V off the top of my head - that's failed.  What's the likely cause?  Is there a fix?  Only thing I can think of is to flash the memory with the latest software.  Is there anything else I can try?

Cheers,

Zedd

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 09:28:57 PM »

Make sure the fan is plugged plugged into the cpu fan pins on the motherboard (Usually labeled CPU_Fan next to it.) Since another CPU fan failed I think it would most likely be the motherboard. If it is I really don't think there's much you can do. There are many different modles of the Asus A7V. You can get another socket A motherboard for cheap. I'd go with gigabyte this time but it's up to you.

Zedd
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My Rig:

-AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 Processor - Not Overclocked
-Asus SK8V Motherboard Skt 940
-2 GB Corsair Registered TWINX1024-3200 XMS3200
-120 GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus
-80 GB Storage drive
-73 GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA
Hard Drive
-256 MB ATI Radeon 9800 PRO Video Card
-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card
-Creative Labs SBS 4.1 Speaker System
-Pioneer DVR-A07 DVD-R/W +R/W
-Samsung SW-252FENB/SW-252SENB
Orlando

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2004, 11:05:11 AM »

Thanks, Zedd, already scouring eBay for a suitable replacement...

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2004, 02:50:53 PM »

I would plug the fan into another one of the fan sockets on your mobo or use an adapter to plug it directly into the power unit. If it works, which it should, then you won't have to buy a new mobo.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
Zedd

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2004, 05:09:45 PM »

I doubt the PC will start once it realizes there's nothing plugged into the cpu fan socket.

Also, I wouldn't recommend ebay for buying motherboards unless the seller has a very high rating, and the motherboard is in box with all the cords and screws and everything else. I'd go with http://www.ZipZoomFly.com. Very cheap prices and free shipping.  http://www.zipzoomfly.com/jsp/ProductList.jsp?ThirdCategoryCode=011410&SortBy=BD&Brand=GIGABYTE. There's a list of socket A motherboards by gigabyte. Any of them will work fine for you.

If you don't want to spend ~55.00 on a new motherboard KaTaLy5t's suggestion could work. I'd try that before you ordered anything, unless you really want a new motherboard.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2004, 05:13:57 PM by Zedd » Logged

Zedd
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My Rig:

-AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 Processor - Not Overclocked
-Asus SK8V Motherboard Skt 940
-2 GB Corsair Registered TWINX1024-3200 XMS3200
-120 GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus
-80 GB Storage drive
-73 GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA
Hard Drive
-256 MB ATI Radeon 9800 PRO Video Card
-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card
-Creative Labs SBS 4.1 Speaker System
-Pioneer DVR-A07 DVD-R/W +R/W