MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Terrible Compaq presario 1510 problems
March 28, 2020, 02:52:52 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2020, 02:52:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Terrible Compaq presario 1510 problems  (Read 1232 times)
btvowels

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 11, 2004, 09:46:51 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:MS XP home edition
Problem Application Name & Version:Unknown
Problem Hardware Make & Model:Compaq Presario 1510US
Error Messages:None it just shuts off.

I try to play video games and after about 30 minutes it shuts down.  I run visualizations on winamp and after 30 minutes again it shuts down.  I Try to run 2 applications at once that require alot of memory and again it shuts down.  I have searched all over the internet, gotten a new hard drive and new ram for this expensive and nice machine, but it has failed to solve the problem.  It has a 32 MB graphics card and 512 ram.
 I think that I did some tweeking on the graphics card at one time and it helped but I dont know what it was and it went back after a preset delay.  I just dont know what to do!
Okay beings as though I do have some deductive capabilities unlike the service support techs I have been on the phones with I have narrowed a problem I have been having down, but still have no serious knowledge of how to fix it.  
I go this computer for graduation and the warranty is out on it.  I do not know what to do.  I have taken it everywhere claiming to fix the problem and I guess by now I should have bought a new one ,but I havent.  PLEAAASE HELP!!!
Brad

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2004, 10:11:29 PM »

Hello btvowels
Some common reason for a computer to just shut down could be either an overheating issue, a bad power supply, bad memory or a virus/worm.

First, take off the side of the chassis and use some canned air and get out all the dust bunnies. Making sure you get the cpu fan, the psu fan and any other fans inside.
Second, update your virus definitions and scan for viruses. You can use a free online scanner called Housecall. Link provided.
Code:
http://housecall60.trendmicro.com/en/start_corp.asp?id=scan

Your video card may not be able to handle the gaming you are trying to do. Have you searched for an updated driver for you card?
Also when you replaced your hard drive did you update your BIOS?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 03:05:52 AM »

Well being as though this is a lap top I dont think I can take the side off and yes all fans are clear.  Thanks for the suggestion.  
As for the virus this thing has become unstable so much that I had to get a new hard drve makeing that possiblity a definite no since I have never had a virus to transend the HD.  
Thanks for those suggestions though I will check forthe virus just to make sure.  
I was thinking that it could be a stick of RAM gone bad because I only changed out one stick so the otheron could be bad as well.  COuld this make it do that?
Brad

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 03:41:06 AM »

I apologize for the mistake. Guess you can take off the side Embarrassed
Yes, memory can be the issue. Are you showing the full amount of ram installed at boot?
The only way to find out is to remove the other stick, and/or replace it.

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2004, 12:10:09 AM »

Well I dont have a stick to replace It but I know one stick was bad so I took it out.  The other stick too may be bad.  I may have to replace them both.  Is there a good cheap site where I can buy some?
Brad

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 13, 2004, 04:26:00 AM »

I purchase alot of stuff from NewEgg.........
Code:
http://www.newegg.com/app/manufact.asp?catalog=147&DEPA=1

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Jump to: