MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: Mesh vs Memtest
April 04, 2020, 12:29:12 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 04, 2020, 12:29:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mesh vs Memtest  (Read 962 times)
jak-c

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 12, 2004, 09:58:07 AM »

http://www.meshcomputers.com/updated/review_oct04_mat643500ppc.htm
Brand new Mesh Desktop,
Athlon 64 3500+
gt6800 NVIDIA
1024MB (2x512MB) DDR memory @ 400mhz
250GB serial hard drive
Nebula Electronics PCI TV card

I bought a Mesh Desktop a month a go and its been giving me problems ever since. Its Athlon 64 3500+, 250GB Hard drive, dvd, Audigy 2 zs pro, 256mb 6800GT graphics, and 2x512MB DDR Memory. This latter has been giving me problems.

I bought a Nebula TV card (pci) and wacked it in there - worked till you exited the programme then it gave you a BSOD and crashed. Nebula told me to check memory, Mesh told me to get rid of TV card. Windows Memory Diagnostic tool (WMDT) picked up on one of the ram sticks (512mb in the dimm0 slot) to be faulty. So Mesh (eventually) send someone around, swop the sticks of memory for new ones and same problem. The guy didnt seem to think it was the motherboard or the slots themselves but a problem with the system memory. Ive tried starting from scratch and re-installing to the factory settings - Now the TV card doesnt give me the BSOD but WMDT is still picking up on all the same errors. Whats happening?  Ive tried removing the tv card and the associated software but WMDT still picks up errors.  

Mesh have told me to reinstall Windows XP and see if that clears it up.  If it doesnt I have to send it back to Mesh and wait a few weeks before I see it again.  Does anyone have a clue what the problem is here and if it was the TV card that caused the problem or did it just turn up with some faulty hardware?  I have tried MemTest - I ran it last night for an hour and it seemed to not pick up on any errors - but then Im not going to ignore the errors WMDT picked up on.  Do I have to leave MemTest for a whole night?  

Some help here would be much appreciated, my last computer was a PS2 so this hasnt been the best introduction to the world of PC.  Undecided

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 11:54:56 AM »

Don't I know you from somewhere? Wink

Have you tried running Memtest for slightly longer than an hour? It's burn in test lasts 24 hours, as far as I know. You can also try Prime95 to test your CPU & RAM with.
What did the BSOD say, though?

Jord.
jak-c

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 01:01:47 PM »

small world....
anyhow, i cant recall what the BSOD said as it was only on the screen for half a second followed by a prompt restart.  It doesnt do it anymore since I reinstalled everything and mesh swopped the memory around, but WMDT is still picking up the errors. I just spoke to Nebula and after doing a test on the TV card it seems there is a hardware conflict - maybe due to bad memory or a corrupt system file or something.  Im downloading Prime95 and see what that says.  stress.

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 01:38:03 PM »

Okay, jak-c, let me know through either forum how you get on. Smiley

Jord.
jak-c

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 02:01:26 PM »

JUST REALISED YOU NEED A INTERNET CONNECTION FOR PRIME95 AND I HAVNT GOT MY HOMEPC RIGGED TO THE OUTSIDE WORLD YET... ILL LEAVE MEMTEST ON OVERNIGHT I REKON.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: