MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Operating Systems : Microsoft arrow Topic: Illegal operation installing USB wireless adapter
March 31, 2020, 10:51:04 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 31, 2020, 10:51:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Illegal operation installing USB wireless adapter  (Read 1529 times)
jldjs

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 14, 2004, 06:56:23 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:W98
Problem Application Name & Version:Install Linksys WUSB11B adapter
Problem Hardware Make & Model: Linksys
Error Messages:Illegal operation in wusb11b after plugging in USB adapter.
I had successfully installed this adapter and operated my wireless network.. Made config changes to my wireless router(SMC7004vbrw) changing SSID name, turning off SSID broadcast, and enabling MAC filtering.  At first my W98 pc connected fine. After a few hours I couldn't connect to internet but could see the router.  I got confused by the adapters site survey display thinking I had a wrong SSID name so I decided to uninstall the adapter and install fresh from CD.  Installed adapter sw, rebooted, plugged in adapter (USB) and after a minute, I got an illegal operation error saying it was in wusb11b, the Linksys monitoring software for the adapter.  Network sw remains installed but I can't connect to internet, and if i reboot without unisntalling the adapter, system hangs showing non-reponsive rundll32, or explorer, or mmtask.  If I uninstall the adapter system seems fine.  Need help finding cause and how to fix so I can back on my wireless network.  I'm using my XP PC to do this over the same network so I know the router and modem are fine.  Thanks

jvic
Visiting Administrator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2004, 08:09:03 PM »

Using paragraphs would make your post easier to read.

John Vickers
jldjs

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 15, 2004, 01:43:30 AM »

Was hoping for more technical help instead of a grammer critque.
I'll try and use my Enter key more frequently.  But, I ran a defrag
 and then corrected suspected modules found by SFC.  Re-installed
adapter (wusb11b), plugged in USB cable to adapter.  System appeared
to idle so used ctrl-alt-del to see tasks, msgsrv32 not responding.
Ended this task, blue screen fatal exception 0D@1dd7, pressed space
key, another blue screen 0E:0028.  Pressed space again, screen blacks
and finally returns to desktop after 4-5 minutes.
The adapter is still loaded and displays connect to access point
but not the internet.  If I try to load IE6 I get an error something
like error code 0xc0000005.
Any help on how to proceed to resolve would be appreciated.

jldjs

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2004, 09:28:08 PM »

Grin
Solved!  SOmehow something called New.net got on to this PC.  Had visitors a week ago, hmmm.
I ran SPtbot and AdAware this morning and found it, removed it.  Rebooted and things are much better now, including connecting to internet thru router and IE 6 works without the error.

wkutrent

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2005, 05:46:28 AM »

Thanks for answering your own question.  I am having the same issue, so I appreciate the leads.  I hope that the other guy who posted here does more for his clients than complain about their writing styles.

jldjs

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2005, 03:52:32 PM »

quote:
Originally posted by wkutrent

Thanks for answering your own question.  I am having the same issue, so I appreciate the leads.  I hope that the other guy who posted here does more for his clients than complain about their writing styles.

Your welcome.  I have come to rely on this and other forums(tech support guy in particular)and posting a solution helps everyone.  I'm no tech expert but I have learned that AdAware and Spybot (both free) are absolutely indispensible.  Before I go for help I run both.  Have also been using SpywareBlaster and SpyWare Guard, also free.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: