MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Internet & Network Support arrow Networking Problems arrow Topic: Help PleaseNetwork nightmare
June 25, 2019, 06:44:22 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2019, 06:44:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Welcome to MyTechSupport.ca! - Registration is FREE, so why not join our friendly community today?
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Help PleaseNetwork nightmare  (Read 1001 times)
abbo8

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 21, 2004, 05:57:28 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:Win XP Pro SP2
Problem Application Name & Version:Nortons 2005 Antivirus
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:
Usins NTL Cable modem via Ethernet card

I have been networking my PC and old Laptop using Actiontec Wireless USB adaptors. New laptop connected straightaway to PC without adaptor and worked perfectly. Now the problem.
Recently installed latest Nortons AntiVurus with its own firewall to PC not laptop,could not connect so disabled firewall going back to XPs built in wirewall.Still could not connect. just by chance I plugged in my Actiontec Wireless adaptor into the laptop and the laptop connected to PC and went on line. I could then unplug adaptor and it remained connected.
Evertime computer was switched off and then rebooted had to plug in adaptor to get it started and remove again.
Someone played around trying to help me out now its hit and miss, I click on repair connection ,says looking for new ip address, then sometimes goes on line but not often. Always says network connected in task bar but does not appear to talk to each other. When I view available networks on both PC and Laptop and refresh list it shows availble networh called mine, as it should do. I have no idea what I need to do.

redaxe
Supreme Loonie
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2004, 07:44:08 PM »

I have to admit that I wasn't overly surprised about the problem, after installing Norton. It's a seriously flawed piece of software and has been since the mid to late 90's.

My first recommendation is this:

Go to
this site and follow the links to AVG Antivirus and Sygate (firewall). Download both, along with programs like Spywareblaster, Spywareguard, Spybot Search&Destroy, Ad-Aware, HijackThis (There is a link and a howto for it on this site), CWShredder and some others that are mentioned there.
Make sure you've downloaded them all before you go offline.

Next, unplug your machine from the internet and get rid of Norton (read uninstall) and everything that goes with it, as it's probably interfering with your network, in such a way, that it's impossible to get it working properly.
Now reboot your machine and install Sygate Firewall and then disable the Windows one. Reboot again.
Install AVG Free Edition and reboot. Now put your machine back online and create a rule in your firewall, allowing the networked machine(s) access (I'll need the network IPs to set you up properly).
Now update AVG and Sygate to the latest version and then install Spywareblaster and Spywareguard.

After all of that is done, come back and tell us how it's gone.

To find the LAN IP, click your Start button and then Run. Type cmd at the prompt and click OK.
Then type ipconfig -all and hit your Return key.
That should give you the relevant information, such as IP, Subnet Mask, Default gateway and such. Much like the image below shows.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: