MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: PC SLOWED DOWN & HICCUPING
June 26, 2019, 12:07:52 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2019, 12:07:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

News
12th Anniversary Celebrating 12 Years! (1997 - 2009) 12th Anniversary
Thanks to ALL that make this site what it is!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: PC SLOWED DOWN & HICCUPING  (Read 962 times)
sammo24

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 22, 2004, 06:50:48 PM »

I have a Windows XP computer with typical 512 mb ram, 2.54ghz Pentium IIII processor, 1 year old, virus free.

I recently loaded a virus free dvd rom of old avi videos onto my
pc via my dvd drive. Ever since I did that, when I minimize any
mp3 player or any other window when using an mp3 player then the sound has annoying hiccups every second for about 40 seconds. When i open new programs my pc slows down for about 20 seconds. I have tried changing hardware accelaration etc, but do not know what is happened. Please help - my PC feels like it has 2 mb ram, and it is getting unbearable to listen to mp3s or check my mail - the whole thing has slowed down. please help, thanks.

shplad

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2004, 09:13:58 PM »

When you say loaded, what exactly do you mean? Did the DVD install any software WHATSOEVER? Or did you just drag and drop some .AVI files without installing anything at all?

1. Perhaps you installed a CODEC of some sort, which is now slowing down the system. Check your Add/Remove programs list in Control Panel
to see if anything has been added that you don't remember...(You can try clicking on date last used to have Windows sort the installed programs by the date on which they were last used.)

2. Check the Eventlog in the Administrative Tools menu. You should see a note made of any installs of Applications in the Application log.

3. From where did you get these .AVI files? Have you scanned your machine for Spyware? Don't assume, BTW, that just because you scanned your machine using one antivirus program, that it is not infected with anything...I commonly used 8 or 10 diff. programs as a technician. If I only had a nickel for every time someone said "it isn't infected, I just scanned it".

That's all that comes to mind at the moment without seeing the machine in person. Oh...and you might want to double-check that nothing has disabled DMA transfers in Device Manager for your hard drive.

Shplad

quote:
Originally posted by sammo24

I have a Windows XP computer with typical 512 mb ram, 2.54ghz Pentium IIII processor, 1 year old, virus free.

I recently loaded a virus free dvd rom of old avi videos onto my
pc via my dvd drive. Ever since I did that, when I minimize any
mp3 player or any other window when using an mp3 player then the sound has annoying hiccups every second for about 40 seconds. When i open new programs my pc slows down for about 20 seconds. I have tried changing hardware accelaration etc, but do not know what is happened. Please help - my PC feels like it has 2 mb ram, and it is getting unbearable to listen to mp3s or check my mail - the whole thing has slowed down. please help, thanks.

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: