MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Application Problems arrow Topic: Quickbooks 2005 basic
September 21, 2019, 10:17:49 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
September 21, 2019, 10:17:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

News
Help us help you! Help us help you by helping out! The more people know about us, the more help will be available. Click here to find out how...
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Quickbooks 2005 basic  (Read 3463 times)
stumpedkittie

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: November 24, 2004, 07:26:10 PM »

Operating System Version: Windows Xp Home edition
Problem Application Name & Version: Quickbooks 2005 basic
Error Messages: When opening any quickbooks files or the program itself, get the error "User Access Rights Problem"

Any advice or direction would be immensely appreciated!

Ok to start, initially I was having problems with Quickbooks version 4. I never registered my copy so when I was trying to use the application it told me my 25 uses were up and I had to register the product. It was asking for a customer number, which I did not have since the quickbooks cd was given to me by a colleague, they do not have it either (it is not a copied cd). SO I called quickbooks support and they recommended I upgrade to 2005 basic version and pay for the upgrade. With that done I started getting the error "User Access Rights Problem" when opening the application. Quickbooks support told me it was a problem with my pc. So I contacted Dell. They are assisting me however we have tried many things and still I am unable to access quickbooks or my old quickbook files. The following is what I have done with dell.
-ensured I had administrator rights, my account is the only user account on the computer and it is a computer administrator.
-Tried creating another user account type that was computer administrator. We logged off under mine and logged on using the new account and had the same result.
-Tried logging on in safe mode under the administrator account and opening the application, had the same result
-Uninstalled .net framework v1.1
-Uninstalled quickbooks 2005 basic
-Reinstalled quickbooks 2005 basic and it reinstalled .net framework automatically.
-Upgraded the .net framework service pack from the windows update site.
-uninstalled .net framework again and reinstalled from the windows update site (the service pack as well- does not work with or without the .net framework service pack)

I was advised by Dell that since I had Windows XP Home edition there were no group policies (as I have found on other forums to be the issue) so I have no option to add a user to the administrators or to the power users groups.

I am almost to the point of giving up, I have no other computer to test this on to see if it is only my machine. The only reason I am still going on is because all of my business' financial information are on these documents (I do have backups).

As stated above, if anyone has any suggestions they would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Dolce

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2004, 06:46:13 AM »

I'm having the same problem with the "Premier Accountant Edition" of QB 2005 on a Dell system as well...

However, I have XP Professional (SP1) installed on the PC so that excludes the "group polices" root cause mentioned by customer support at Dell.

I found another posting on another site concerning the same issue, but this time for the 2004 version of QB. I got a suggestion there to completly uninstall the ".net framework". I tried it on my system, but it didn't work.

Try this on yours: it might actually work for you.

If it doesn't work then you might want to uninstall the 2005 version of Quickbooks and reinstall the the 2004 version of the application in an alternative directory (by this I mean not in the original Intuit directory, but in a different directory such C:\temp).

Try opening the files with this new installed version of QB 2004.

I'm not sure if this will work (because of registry entries on your system, etc.), but it's worth trying in your case.

If you still get no results then you might want to talk to somebody at Intuit. Try to get to somebody that deals with QA (Quality assurance) and say that you want to report a "bug" with their software.

Chances are that many more people that are using this application are having this specific problem . In theory Intuit should be eager to know about it, but I know that they are pretty bad about offering technical support (for free). In your case it should be even more important for them to provide you with free support since they suggested the installation of the new version themselves. Don't buy into Intuit's comment that this is just a problem with your computer.

Get nasty if you need to!

I just discovered this issue, so I will continue to investigate it in the next couple of days if I find out anything new I'll let you know right away.

Please do the same if you find a solution.

Cheers and good luck...

Ronbeth1

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2004, 03:51:29 AM »

I had the same problem with Quickbooks Basic 2005 conflicting with XP as well. We are first time users to Quickbooks and still encountered this problem. I spent an hour on the phone with Intuit and all they told me was that it was under research and they would e-mail me with a solution. Whenever that may be? Apparantly there is a glitch with the 2005 edition and XP. So, I returned the software until they can come up with a solution. If anyone out there has any new info please e-mail me.

howiepipe

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2004, 02:03:25 AM »

I have had the same problem when trying to open quick books after an update to 2005 pro.  Must have administrator group rights to open quick books.  After a very frustrating day with the worthless tech support in India I received an email that resolved the issue:
Your case has been escalated to me. I see from my notes that you are getting an error prompting your for Admin or Power User rights when opening QuickBooks. I have heard that Microsoft is coming out with competition to Quick books called Magellan that is due to come out in late 2005.  I am sick of getting scammed from Intuit, having to pay ridiculous fees to keep the payroll up to date and then having them susnet a version that works just fine.

Please go to Start, Run and type in regedit and click OK. First I would like you to create a backup (or Export) of your registry. Go to File, Export. (if you have Windows 2000 go to Registry, Export Registry File) In Save in: select your Desktop, give the file you will remember and know what this is, in Export range select All, click Save.

Please go to Hkey_Local_Machine\Software. Right-click Software and select permissions, what Users do you have in here? Do you have one for Administrator and are the permissions set for Full Control and Read? Could you please take a screenshot by clicking Alt-Print Scrn and copy it to the return email to me? Double-click on Software, look for the folder for Intuit. Please check the permissions on this folder too and if you can send me a screenshot.

If you are using Windows 2000 go back to Start, Run and type in Regedt32 and click OK. Please go to Hkey_Local_Machine\Software. Click Software to highlight it, go to Security menu and select permissions, what Users do you have in here? Do you have one for Administrator and are the permissions set for Full Control and Read? Could you please take a screenshot by clicking Alt-Print Scrn and copy it to the return email to me? Double-click on Software, look for the folder for Intuit. Please check the permissions on this folder too and if you can send me a screenshot.

Please respond at your convenience.

Thank you,

Regina

Dolce

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2004, 08:15:37 AM »

What do you mean by "Your case has been escalated to me"?

Could you also give us more specfic directions on the solution to this problem?

Can we solve the issue by editing the registry?

Thanks,
Dolce

Maxinquaye74

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 05:36:05 AM »

Hello everyone.....
I am a freelance computer systems analyst and I also help clients with computer problems.  A recent client of mine complained of these same problems with windows xp home and quickbooks 2005.  I know that there are no real "group" associations in xp home, only xp professional, so I was quite perplexed with this problem.
I tried many workarounds to correct the "permissions" problems stating that she was not an administrator or power user, even though she was logged in as such.
Absolutely nothing worked, and I recommended she chew Intuit out and request an immediate refund.  Well...I was wrong.  The problem does not lie with Intuit, my friends.  The problem is that your computers have a trojan or worm that has effectively changed your permissions without you even knowing it.  My client had Norton installed and updated and it did not catch the trojan.  Only after I scanned her computer with AVG did I find the trojan and remove it...Alas I had to reinstall her XP home edition because even after removal of the trojan I could not reinstate her permissions to default because of the damage the trojan did to her registry software permissions.  But, I am happy to report that after removal of the trojan and a clean install, Quickbooks 2005 works just fine.  So, in conclusion...scan your computer thoroughly with several different AV programs!  Also, check your registry...go to Hkey_users main folder, right click and select permissions.  If you see a group or user name that is suspicious OR has a QUESTION mark beside it, then your permissions have been altered and a new user created without your knowledge!

melody1812

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2005, 11:34:49 PM »

I can't tell you how many "hoops" I have gone through with this problem spending literally days with Microsoft & Intuit techs. At one point with Microsoft, my operating system would not work at all (after changes made in regedit. I was told at one point, I might need to reinstall Windows XP, losing all my installed software programs but retaining my files. I almost cried. However, several hours later, my operating system was working again.

After another "round" with Microsoft today, I found the "fix." Microsoft's tech suggested that I uninstall quickbooks and that they would get back with me tomorrow. I did not uninstall quickbooks. Here's what I did, and QB works!!
1. I created a "Restore Point" on the computer so I would have something to go back to that worked (except for Quickbooks)
2. I saved my company files by going into "My Computer" C:Program Files/Intuit/Quickbooks. When I found the files, backup & current, I copied them to another computer on my network. That way, if I did uninstall QB, I wouldn't lose my data. You can also save this to another folder on your hard drive or to disk. While I did not need to do this (as it turned out), you should do this in case of a "glitch."
3. I went into the control panel & clicked on "Add or Remove Programs" & went to Quickbooks2005. I clicked on "Change-Remove" and (thankfully) found "Repair."
4. After repairing, I still got the same message..."Windows XP & Windows 2000 users must have Power Users or Administrator group rights..."
5. I right clicked on Quickbooks icon on the desktop and went to "properties" "compatibility" Before the repair, Windows 95 was greyed out and I couldn't change it. After the repair, I was able to change it to run in compatibility mode for Windows 2000 (XP did not show up). At any rate, it WORKS!!

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: