MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: computer won't boot
November 15, 2019, 06:08:22 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 15, 2019, 06:08:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Check out our improved Download section for tons of software....
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: computer won't boot  (Read 1334 times)
tec_wiz

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 02, 2004, 03:13:06 PM »

ok, I have a machspeed v400adbl board with a athlon xp 2200 and two sticks of 256 ddr 2100.My problem is that whenever i turn on the computer i have my cpu fan sut on, but nothing else happens.  my cd players hold a solid light and won't open.  but the cd players will open if i detatch the ide cable from the drive or motherboard.  I also get no video and no beeps.  I have hooked everthing up as the manual instructed.  I have the fsb set to 133mhz, and i have cleared the cmos. I checked the ram to see if one of my sticks was faulty.  I also replaced the cpu with another i had to see if that was the problem.  I tried a diffrent power supply.  I tried a new moniter.  I sent the motherboard back to machspeed for them to test it and they said that it was fine.I don't know what to do.  I'm stumped.  if anyone knows anything i would be much appreciated.

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2004, 03:32:13 PM »

Hi tec_wiz,

Here are the actions of a working system's cold-boot procedure in the order of occurrence:
1. When power is applied, the power-supply fan activates
2. The keyboard lights flash as the rest of the system components are being reset.
3. A BIOS message appears on the monitor.
4. A memory test flickers on the monitor.
5. The floppy-disk drive access light comes on briefly (if enabled in CMOS boot sequence)
6. The hard-disk drive access light comes on briefly.
7. The system beeps, indicating that is has completed its power on self-test (POST)and initialization process. After this point, the operation of the machine shifts to looking for and loading an operating system.

I'm not going any further as you are not even getting a POST. This is definately a hardware problem.

You didn't mention anything about a video card or your hard drive. Your board supports:

AGP SLOT

* Support 8X AGP VGA Mode for 266MHz of AD and SBA signaling
    * Pipelined split transaction long-burst transfers up to 2GB/sec
    * 1.5V AGP Card Only

What video card are you using and what hard drive?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2004, 06:29:56 PM »

the video card I'm using is the nvidia mx400 geforce2 i believe.  I do not remember the harddrive, but i don't believe it is a problem with that b/c i don't even get the startup screen, or any video for that matter.  the keyboard blinks, but blinks on and off constantly.  i get no beeps from the computer, and I've done everything.  I've cleared the cmos, checked ram, changed video cards, I'm all out of options that i know of.

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2004, 06:45:34 PM »

Without a beep which is the POST your not even making it to where the memory is checked.
Your not even getting a "startup screen" which is when a message from the BIOS is flashed on the monitor.
Im betting it's your motherboard. Theres not much more I can tell you to do, you seemd to have swapped everything out but a "new" board. You say that they checked it but it's the same board right?
Try using only 1 stick of memory at a time swapping with the other to see if you get anything.

Mayb someone else has an input ?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2004, 06:51:07 PM »

I tried the memory swap using only one stick and that did nothing.  like i said, I sent it back, but yes it is the same board.  today I think I'm going to go down to the local shop here and see if i can borrow a test board of theirs and swap it out to see if that is my problem.  This is really starting to piss me off.

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2004, 06:55:46 PM »

Very confusing to me also. Please let us know if the other baord worked Grin

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 05:30:20 PM »

Hey dude,
Mine prob is also swhat similar to wat u r experiencing??
My pc also doesnt gets turned on ven i start it. Only d fan runs but dere is no power anywhere else. Nor does any of d light blinks.But after bout 15 mins, it gets turned on. Another imp thing i hv noticed is dat dis process is swhat related vid d outside temp. In summers ,dere is no such prob.But as winter is creeping here in india and as it is bcoming colder day by day, more time my pc takes to get on.
Any clue on wat xactly d prob is?Huh?Huh?Huh?Huh???

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: