MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Software Support arrow Game Problems arrow Topic: laggy games
October 19, 2019, 05:20:55 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 19, 2019, 05:20:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Got pics of your modded PC or want to show off your cool desktop, visit our new Show & Tell forum!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: laggy games  (Read 1511 times)
werty

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 03, 2004, 06:20:17 PM »

PLEASE SUPPLY RELEVANT INFORMATION:
Operating System Version:
Problem Application Name & Version:
Problem Hardware Make & Model:
Error Messages:

werty

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2004, 06:22:43 PM »

a lot of my games are running slow, like mafia, devil inside, half life 2, but when i disable my sound card they work fine, ive updated my graphics card and it didnt seem to make a difference, ive changed various settings which also didnt seem to make a difference, and ive tryed to update my sound card but it says it carnt detect it, ive heard else where that this is a know problem,ive aso tryed moving the sound card to a different PCI slot, please help
here are my specs

Intel celeron cpu 2.4GHz processor

512mb 2100 DDR memory

80GB maxtor 7200rpm hard drive

ATI Radeon 9600 128mb video card

creative sound blaster live 5.1 PCI sound card

windows xp

ps:sorry about the above post

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2004, 11:20:22 PM »

Hi wert

quote:
and ive tryed to update my sound card but it says it carnt detect it

Did you re-enable your sound card?  

It's obvious that your sound card is causing your problems. Have you tried another one?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2004, 11:48:52 PM »

yes i re-enabled my sound card, no i havent tryed another one. i dont want to buy another one, but if i can borrow one off somebody i can see if it makes a difference, but until then, anything else?

werty

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 12:19:35 PM »

CAN ANBODY PLEASE HELP ME!!!

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 05:47:31 PM »

Ok, ok, no need to shout. Smiley

I have a comparable system to yours. But for running lower spec memory and an Aureal audiocard on Windows 2000. I can play all of the above games at good frames per second, although HL2 just has the bug that will make it lag when lots of things will happen onscreen, at the time sound is loaded from your harddrive.

For HL2 the thing is to disable AEX (someplace in Steam's options).
But for all the other games, you may want to check what is running in the background. Anti virus real time checking, shut it down. Disable services you don't need.

Jord.
werty

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2004, 11:39:10 AM »

thanks for the help but i have already done that and it makes no difference, not sure what real time cheaking is though

Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2004, 12:45:26 PM »

Real time checking, on the fly checking, it's all a way of saying that the anti virus program is actively checking for viruses whenever you open up a program. It'll do so in the background, but at that time hamper you, as it takes up CPU cycles & memory better used by the program.

Since a game is made primarily of .dll files, you can imagine that active checking will slow down your game, since the AV suite has to check all game system files prior to allowing you to use them. Therefore, shutting down the AV program completely, making sure its services don't run and its email checker is out of memory (task manager), will free up those processes.

Same goes in a small amount for firewall software, routing software and anything else that will use your CPU in the background, like crunching programs (Seti@Home, BOINC, UD-Agent, Folding@home, etc.)

Do remember that your CPU, although speedy enough for most games out there, does lack in the Level 2 cache. You only have 128k/256k of it, whereas the full P4 has 512k to 1Mb. A real P4 would do wonders.

Jord.
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: