MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Hardware Devices Problems arrow Topic: New hard drive problem
December 09, 2019, 04:49:08 PM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
December 09, 2019, 04:49:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  Looking for cheap hardware and/or software?
Visit our new Online Store where you will be able to purchase from a reputable vendor by country.
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: New hard drive problem  (Read 1526 times)
avfc

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 04, 2004, 10:18:26 PM »

I've just fitted a new hard drive and although it is recognized in the bios it doesn't show in windows. When I hit the properties tab on the c drive it only shows 2GB. The new HDD is 40GB!
I'm not a computer whizz so I'm sure I've done something obviously wrong.
After I fitted the new drive I installed windows without any problems. Obviously I can't load any drivers for my sound card, graphics card etc. because theres not enough disc space.
Where have I gone wrong?
Don't forget, I'm not a whizz with computers so keep the jargon to a minimum.

THANKS.

Geekgirl
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2004, 10:03:57 PM »

Hi avfc
I'm assuming this is a second hard drive and you have your jumpers set correctly. Is this drive formatted?

Girlz Rule ...Boyz Drool

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2004, 08:58:01 PM »

Its a replacement drive and is therefore the only drive now in the PC. The jumpers are set to master. I haven't formatted it. I've tried by right clicking on the c drive but get a message saying can't format because it contains files in use by windows. The other thing I would say is that when windows loads it looks like its in safe mode but I know its not. Any idea?

Zedd

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2004, 01:28:31 AM »

What brand is it? If you bought it retail it should of come with some program that will format it for you. Did you install Windows on it yourself? If you did you tell it to do a quick format before installing or a full format? Assuming this is an IDE make sure the cable is securly in place, and the BIOS sees it.

To enter the BIOS you usually tap delete while your system turns on. If Windows starts loading you didn't hit it soon enough. There you can see what the settings for the drive is. It could be set is a 2 GB drive. If there is a setting for auto use that.

Good luck.

Zedd
__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

My Rig:

-AMD Athlon 64 FX-51 Processor - Not Overclocked
-Asus SK8V Motherboard Skt 940
-2 GB Corsair Registered TWINX1024-3200 XMS3200
-120 GB Maxtor DiamondMax Plus
-80 GB Storage drive
-73 GB Western Digital Raptor 10,000 RPM SATA
Hard Drive
-256 MB ATI Radeon 9800 PRO Video Card
-Creative Labs Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS Sound Card
-Creative Labs SBS 4.1 Speaker System
-Pioneer DVR-A07 DVD-R/W +R/W
-Samsung SW-252FENB/SW-252SENB
Ageless
Dark Overlord of the Universe
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2004, 08:52:34 PM »

You haven't formatted the drive, but you did install Windows on it. By the looks of it, Windows 98 or Millennium, since Windows 2000 and XP will offer to format it in NTFS which automatically take the whole drive.

Your harddrive is partitioned as FAT. FAT or FAT16 is only 2 gigabyte. From FAT32 onwards the partition size can be 2 terabytes, although Windows 98 (first edition) did have a bug that would only allow 32GB to be formatted.

Anyway, ways around it? Use fdisk to partition the rest of the drive, or just start all over. Zedd is correct on the abilities of the harddrive's utilities, but it isn't always delivered with the new harddrive. So please tell us the brand of this harddrive?

Jord.
avfc

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2004, 07:00:58 PM »

Hi.
Its a Maxtor Diamondplus 8. The cables are all seated properly and the drive is recognised in the Bios. I'm running ME and when I installed, after fitting the HDD, I don't recall being asked if I wanted to format the drive. I have tried to install windows again and it doesn't ask me anywhere if I want to format. I've tried the fdisk in dos and again I can't get anything to work. I've tried all options and it won't process any of them. The PC's heading for the window I think!!! I've had a file sent to me by Maxtor whereby it creates a start up floppy that allows you to format the drive. I can't get that to work and get the error message:
Can't load BDOS kernel file:A:\IBMDOS>COM

I don't know where to go from here. I thought fitting a new HDD would be a simple task. It seemed so from the instructions I got off the net before I decided to give it a go.

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2004, 10:32:07 PM »

It is rather easy, if you know what you are doing. So let me talk you through some options.

Option 1:
1. Reboot the computer with the Windows ME startup floppy, choose to go to the MSDOS prompt without loading CDROM drivers.
2. On the prompt, type fdisk and hit Enter.
3. Press Y(ess) on the question if you want to use disks greater than 512MB.
4. In the menu, press 4 {enter}.
5. Write down any information about partitions that are now shown. Their names is somewhat important, but also check if there is more than one.
6. Press Esc. to return to the main menu, then press 3 {enter}.
7. Press 3 {enter} again.
8. If you have any extended drives, you'll see them on the screen. Delete them, by pressing the corresponding drive letter, pressing enter, then filling in the volume's name. If you don't have any extended drives, or are done with, press Esc. to return to the main menu.
9. Press 3 {enter} then 1 {enter}.
10. Delete the Primary partition, just in the same way as you would an extended partition. (See 8.) When done, press Esc to return to the main menu.
11. Press 1 {enter}.
12. Press 1 {enter}.
13. You'll get the message "Do you wish to use the maximum available size for primary DOS partition?", so press Y(ess){enter}.
14. That's it, you've made a FAT32 partition on your harddrive. Press Esc. until you are back at the command prompt.
15. Reboot the PC again with the WinME startup floppy, but this time start it with CDROM drivers.
16. At the command prompt, type format c: /s {enter}
17. Press Y(ess) to allow formatting to start.
18. When done, you have a completely partitioned and formatted harddrive, ready for Windows install.
19. So from the command prompt type d:\setup {enter} and Windows ME install will start.

If you don't understand anything in this rather long list, just ask. Smiley

Hmmm, pressed post instead of preview. So editing in option 2.

Option 2:
1. Download Maxblast 3.
2. Run it so it unpacks itself to a new floppy, then reboot the system with that floppy in.
3. Now follow the steps on this page.

« Last Edit: December 08, 2004, 10:40:17 PM by Ageless » Logged

Jord.
avfc

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 07:54:39 PM »

Jee. I thought the instructions were good and easy to follow but unfortunately I didn't get very far. On option 1 I tried rebooting with the start up floppy in and I get the following error message:
Disk I/O error
Replace the disk, and then press any key
When you remove the disk, windows continues to load in the format that looks like its in safe mode.

I'd already tried option 2 as Maxtor are also looking at the problem for me. I didn't get very far with that either, see my posting Dec 8.

HELP!!!!!!

Ageless
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 08:26:33 PM »

Looks like you have a bust floppy drive on your hands. Especially seeing your earlier problem with writing to a floppy disk. Why don't you go out and get a new floppy drive? They are hardly more than #163;5.-

Jord.
avfc

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2004, 03:07:54 PM »

I don't think the floppy is broke. It worked fine before I changed the HDD and it was the last thing I used before taking the old HDD out (had to save some files). What I can't get my head around is the fact that the HDD is seen in the Bios. My computer is about 4 years old and none of the components have been upgraded (except for adding a sound card, more memory and a second CD drive). Could it be compatiblity problem?

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: