MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters! MyTechSupport.ca :: Your Computer Technical Resource Headquarters!
HOME FORUMS RESOURCES & TOOLS ARTICLES ONLINE STORE ABOUT US
Computer Support Forums arrow Hardware Support arrow Overclocking, Cooling & Modding Problems arrow Topic: Overclocking, little help pls..
November 20, 2019, 10:16:20 AM

Home Forum Rules Help Search Mobile Version Login Register

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
November 20, 2019, 10:16:20 AM

Login with username, password and session length
 Featured Sites:
News
New  We now offer MyTechSupport.ca Merchandise! Every purchase goes towards maintaining our site.
Thank you for supporting MyTechSupport.ca!
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Overclocking, little help pls..  (Read 1864 times)
DwArK

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« on: December 05, 2004, 08:53:24 PM »

Hi, i have a Barton 2600xp + and i want it to be a 3000xp +... Thats no prob.. I have set my fsb frequency to 193 instead of 166.. it regonizes the cpu as a barton 3000xp + but it is running very bad in games, is this something with Cpu Vcore voltage (it is standard)?? and what is Vcore Dimm? And what cooler would you prefer, a cheap one...

Christian
Denmark..

KaTaLy5t
Global Moderator

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 02:41:58 PM »

You use the CPU Vcore to help stabilise the CPU after you overclock it. Basically all it is, is the voltage that the CPU is running on. Just be careful that if you increase the voltage to CPU you will increase the temp., make sure your HSF(Heatsink/ Fan) can cope with it or you'll run the risk of overheating.
  The Vcore Dimm is the voltage that your RAM is running on, you can also increase this to stabilise the overclock on your RAM, same story as above, make sure your RAM is cool otherwise you'll fry it.
  As far as a cooler goes I'd prefer to spend a little extra and get a good cooler that I know is well capable of doing the job.

Ross

You can't hug people with nuclear arms
X-ti

Bookmark and Share

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2005, 11:24:30 AM »

A good rule of thumb when buying a cooler is that cost usually correlates with performance.

If I was running at stock speeds, I would have no problem buying a reasonably priced cooler, but if you're planning on overclocking, more is more.

Increasing the FSB as drastically as you have may have some problems. The CPU itself may need some more voltage to keep it stable, which will raise the temperature.

The RAM will also probably not be designed to run at this speed, and you may need to lower some timings or increase the voltage through it to keep it stable.

Again, if you increase the voltage, you may need to start taking an interest in passivley cooling your RAM a bit better, possibly with some heatsinks specially designed for RAM or by taking your hot RAM into consideration when planning the airflow through your case.

The Barton 2600 should overclock quite well, you shouldn't have too many problems with it. Just remember to be careful and go slowly. And listen to what your PC is telling you. If it is unstable, ease off a bit.

Most of all, have fun trying to get some free performance. Smiley

Pages: [1] Go Up Print 

Jump to: